Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Splicing

Author Topic: Splicing
Neil Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2007 07:40 PM      Profile for Neil Robinson   Email Neil Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For many years I have used very slight overlapped joins in all film prints ect the site I work at has Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 projectors I find that Butt Joins go through the projectors much better than overlapped, just out of interest which is the most widely used type of join used by other cinemas vith Vic 5s

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-01-2007 03:35 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
back in the late 80's I worked at a 4plex that had Vic-5's .. and we had a the good ol Neumade Neutaper 35SS model and I did absolute butt splices with all my film work with no problems...

I've never like the slight overlapped splicing variety since it seems to chatter a bit in the trap and gate assemblies.

With a butt splice, the film travel going through the gate and trap assembly seem more smoother - like if the film was never cut in the first place..

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2007 08:38 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Butt splice. How many sprocket holes are you over lapping?
Does it matter what side the trailing edge falls on going through the gate to give a smoother passage?

Thanks!

Neil Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2007 09:15 AM      Profile for Neil Robinson   Email Neil Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The overlap is about 1mm, the cutting block on the side of the splicer is adjusted slightly so the when the join is made there is the slight overlap

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2007 11:38 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A perfect splicer cuts perfectly on the middle of the frameline. A lot of 35S splicers I've had don't do that. They're usually too close to the block.

I modify all of my splicers per the tips section on this site to cut slightly off-center on the outter edge.
When cutting film the leader always stays on the right and I overlap the splice by just a hairs width.

Overlapping splices is a good thing [Wink]
Say goodbye to blooping soundtracks to avoid that blasted snap, pop, or thud your analog sound makes when the splice runs through!

Not to mention it's a little bit sturdier since a lot of splicers see much abuse and a butt splice doesn't always line up PERFECTLY EVERY TIME.

That'll be 2 cents please.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-01-2007 12:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good trick about curing the "bloop" syndrome is to take some electrical tape, cut tiny triangles that is the same width of the soundtrack from a small section of this tape and lay the triangle across the soundtrack with the head of the triangle facing inwards toward the picture, then draw the splicing tape across all of this. Goodbye "bloop".

But, there is a trick in making tight butt splices as well: with both ends facing each other in the die, take the left side of the film and actually press it into the right side cut. Then take the tape and lay it across the right side to hold, the rub the tape sideways to grab hold of the left side - the side that your pressing in. Then flatten out for to smooth. Then continue to do the other side. By doing this, this join will last for weeks without separating and it will not hinge.

...my three cents worth .. - Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-01-2007 03:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
By doing this, this join will last for weeks without separating and it will not hinge.
By making a splice with a slight overlap, the join will last for years or decades without separating, or hinging, or stretching that would create a "pop" at the splice. It's also much faster to make splices like this with a modified cutter on the splicer rather than jacking around with trying to cut up pieces of electrical tape.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-01-2007 03:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or....just make a changeover [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-01-2007 03:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol...agree there fully, Steve. - the way I try to make splices like if I were still doing changeovers...

Well, when I ran "Titanic" for six months and the last print to leave our complex still had tight tape splices. I knew they were good ones...and done with a Guillitoine splicer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: