Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie Brain Scratch Mystery

Author Topic: Christie Brain Scratch Mystery
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-03-2007 02:11 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I received a complaint that Mr Brooks was scratched. When I went to investigate it, I found nothing off roller or out of path. The print looked severely scratched, 2 or 3 base side scratches and one emulsion side scratch. I figured it must have happened on a previous show, however when the show let out, what a found on the brain surprised me.

-

What is this? It looks like a string of emulsion leading from the bone to the two small guides near the rollers.

This is on an older style AW3.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-03-2007 05:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing that could cause scratching in a Christie brain is if the film is not seated properly between the two white fixed stripper poles. However that is almost impossible given the picture you showed since you have the new style poles in there that have a gentle tapering to them as opposed to a squared off edge.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2007 07:04 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had some metallic cue tape get stuck on one of the posts once, but it only caused a minor base scratch. How long has the print been running on that platter/brain? I must say that is very odd.

ps: your brain looks super clean [Smile]

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2007 08:09 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a long shot, but could there be a groove cut into the inside edge of one of the "bone" posts? I've seen this happen before on the AW3. Over time, the film can cut a groove into the post and end up sitting into that groove every time the film is run.

Ultimately, you can end up stripping the emulsion at the edges, and the film can hop into and out of the groove depending on how the platter timing is set up. Although I've never seen it, perhaps that could account for the scratching as the film rubs against the burred plastic of the groove.

However you don't mention seeing a groove; usually it should be noticeable, so it's likely there's another explanation.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 06-04-2007 11:40 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alex Grueneberg
ps: your brain looks super clean

You apparently don't know Mike very well. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: