Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Why makes the edge of a print more prone to have lines?

Author Topic: Why makes the edge of a print more prone to have lines?
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2007 09:39 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am mostly talking used prints but what is it that almost all scope prints have lines on the extreme edges. The print can be like new in every other sense.
I do not see any projector or transport design reason for these lines. I do not see how miss handling can predictably cause lines on the edges. Whats causing them ?

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2007 10:11 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With "used" prints it would be most likely due to someone breaking down the film at too high of speed. The film guides can't spin fast enough past a certain amount of speed since they rely on friction from the film. Once the film is coming off the platter at a faster rate than the friction can keep a "grip" on the film the film begins to glide over the guide surface.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-06-2007 11:00 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the cause is more likely platter rollers (or other rollers) not turning properly.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-06-2007 11:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's usually pad rollers not adjusted properly or failsafes (the older 80s type).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-06-2007 02:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and shouldered rollers...

-

-Monte

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2007 04:12 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...another vote for pad rollers.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2007 06:38 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since Monte posted a picture of it, I'll ask. What is the point of those rollers? I never understood. Most of the Christie machines I used to service had those as their pad rollers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2007 10:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So did older Simplex/Century projectors too Ken.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2007 11:39 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the replies. The picture of those rollers looks like the same as what my projector uses. Im not doing anything high speed through it though but I can see where if those were used on a transport at high speed it could be an issue.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-08-2007 02:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to add this comment on my pict: this pad roller came from the middle pad roller assembly which this roller is mounted on the front of the pad roller arm and this roller is holding the film as it leaves the intermittent sprocket to the middle constant speed sprocket.

If the lower loops are built too small, the inside of the lower loop is what is making contact with the inner shoulders of this particular roller and doing the base side scratching.

Chek with your local supplier for non-shouldered rollers to replace these shouldered rollers for your make of machine.

-Monte

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2007 03:02 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I've long since replaced all those double-flanged rollers (or whittled off the inside flanges) wherever I found them, and never had a problem as far as them keeping film in place.

Maybe the idea was to give an extra bit of insurance when running beat-up prints with nicks and split-off edges - something you don't see much in the polyester era.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-09-2007 11:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe that the shouldered roller concept came from the nitrate era - to keep the film securely centered on the sprocket since the constant speed sprockets on those early machines travelled a lot faster in rotation speed (16tooth) and a tighter film wrap making it prone for film hop off the sprocket.

The 24tooth XL sprocket was a blessing in the long run by slowing down the rotation speed and making a larger film wrap around the sprocket, thus less curve stress on the film.

Also, those early machines had brass pad rollers equipped with the same inner shoulders.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-10-2007 08:48 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte; remember the tps (teeth per second) is the same! Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: