Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Fanning strips for terminal strips on Dolby processors. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fanning strips for terminal strips on Dolby processors.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-08-2007 03:14 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody was asking about these recently. If it's of any use to anybody they're available in the UK from RS Components (nothing to do with Radio Shack) in left and right hand versions, with part nombers 423-504 and 423-510. I can't remember which is which, but in most cases it wouldn't matter. The difference is that each type has 12 tags, plus three 'empty' positions where extra tags could be, but aren't, fitted. This empty section of plastic is at the opposite end on each type. I'm not sure what this section is for, I can't think of any use for it, and it always seems to be cut off when the strips are used, so either type could be used. If anybody actually wants to know which type is which, let me know, and I'll post a picture.

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2007 06:06 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,

In the "dark ages" before the invention of tie wraps, those blank holes would be used to secure the linen lacing cord we used to make wires into cables. The idea of attaching the cord to the strip was to form strain relief so the connections did not carry the cable weight or pulling.

KEN

edit: That is what we used to do in the 1960's for TV studio racks with RCA.

[ 06-08-2007, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Kenneth Wuepper ]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-08-2007 10:30 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen that done for quite a few years now Ken, it's usually cable ties and sticky bases now. I've never seen the 'empty' ends of the fanning strips used to attach the cord to; the most common way in the past seemed to be to tie it off to some of the mounting holes in the back of the rack.

Gordon Burke
Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2007 02:32 PM      Profile for Gordon Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful! RS Components US customers are routed to Allied Electronics which doesn't carry this product. Americans would never want to buy 5 amp barrier strips when they could use 15 and 30 amp products to handle milliwatt signals. Just wonderful! [Razz]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-12-2007 03:00 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anybody needs some of things and can't find a supplier let me know and I can send you some. A have a few in my desk, and can get more in a few days.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-12-2007 08:20 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I buy from Radio Spares on line. Their service to America is wonderful. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-12-2007 08:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I buy them locally at Ra-Elco for next to nothing. No need to order from over seas.

Mark

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-13-2007 04:39 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't have thought they'd be difficult to get hold of, but if anybody lives somewhere where they can't easily get hold of them, and needs some, I've got six in my desk at the moment

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-02-2014 11:46 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2454 days since the last post.

James Falloon
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2014 11:46 PM      Profile for James Falloon   Email James Falloon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to revive an old thread but it appears these are a discontinued product at Radio Spares. [Frown]

I just need a few for a CP65 I've acquired, does anyone know of another source or suitable alternative?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-03-2014 01:02 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odyssey make some PC board versions of these. I have a few in stock I could send by postal service if you send me an address.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-03-2014 06:50 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have studiously saved every one of these not needed for the last 35 years. I have about 35 pounds of them. You just have to be flexible about the number of terminals you get; sometimes you have two sections to reach 16.

Oxidation is a small problem, but the flux in my solder usually removes it. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-03-2014 06:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMP also makes a suitable spade crimp for the #2 screw. 328394

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-03-2014 06:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Expensive little bugers!

Odyssey also still lists their version of the fanning strips.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-04-2014 04:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The significantly cheaper packaging form of the same AMP (TE) crimp:
Less expensive crimps

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: