Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Print of "Brazil" C- grade. Take or pass?

Author Topic: Print of "Brazil" C- grade. Take or pass?
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-11-2007 06:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boss is trying to book "Brazil" in our theater. The studio called back and told him the print is graded "C-".

Take or pass?

If the print just has the usual light black scratches and dirt an extra bath in some FilmGuard will bring it back to useable condition. But if it's beyond the capabilities of FG, we don't want the print.

What do you think?

T.I.A. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-11-2007 10:13 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We played it about 18 months ago and received an unused print. Figuring they made on only a handful of prints and they are all well used better take if you want to play it. It's a very popular film. I've played some C grade prints that looked pretty good and others that were horrible, no telling.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-11-2007 10:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(..you should have been a projectionist running "grindhouse" prints - you did your best in haing a good presentation with the prints that would come in...)

Yes, a hard call on that one...

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2007 10:14 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that often a print which looks pretty bad on an inspection bench is respectable when projected.
I'd give it a try. This will also inform you about the distributor's grading standards.

RPM

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-12-2007 12:24 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Book it anyway...it's too good to miss.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-12-2007 03:06 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Loew's Jersey ran it last year, first time I'd seen it in quite a few years.

The large brick building was Croydon 'B' power station, just about five minutes by tram from where I work. It has been demolished and replaced by an Ikea store, but the two chimneys remain as a local landmark.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2007 12:59 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except for geeks like us, most people wont really care about the quality. I'd book it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-13-2007 01:17 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..one of Terry Gilliam's better movies...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-13-2007 04:34 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He doesn't make bad ones IMO...some are just less original than others.

Agree with [sleep] Book it anyway. [thumbsup] Or at least don't just trust some unknown inspector. Get it to you and check it for yourself.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-13-2007 07:03 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Book it. It's a great film. Be sure to find out if it's the US version or the longer European version and indicate which version you are playing in your advertisements.

If you are feeling creative, see if you can get sponsorship from an HVAC company. [evil]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-13-2007 09:24 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to follow up Scott's suggestion, I bet the European version (which is about 12 minutes longer) is in better condition because it would have played much less in the US.

On the other hand, you can get the butchered Universal TV cut (about 30mins shorter) that gives it a happy ending. That's probably never played anywhere [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: