Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex E-7 Drifting out of frame

Author Topic: Simplex E-7 Drifting out of frame
Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2007 09:36 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Simplex E-7 that is drifting out of frame.
Sometimes is drifts very quickly, something very slowly.
It will be do this drifting for a day or two, then stop for days or weeks before doing it again.
The problem is getting more frequent, though.
And it occurred the worse ever today.

The drifting is always down. I can frame it back to the normal center and watch it drift back down.

I did a search of Film-Tech and found some references to XLs doing this, the solution being a spring or clamp holding the framing cam in sync. But I have not been able to translate the info to apply to the E-7.

Anyone have any ideas specific to this problem on an E-7 ???

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-14-2007 02:30 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on thing to chek for drifting is if the film tension in the gate might be a bit too tight which can cause the mechanism to roll backwards with the tension.

Plus, "poly" film is more coarser that acetate film why gate tension has to be adusted for this film stock - why of the variations of time that you explained ... and with E-7's having separate tension spring adjusters, it's a fine adjustment area as well.

I've ran E-7's and this is one area that I'm only familar with this problem and was solved with adjustment of gate tensions..

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2007 09:11 AM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll try lightening the tension and see how it runs today.

Are there any tricks to getting the tension correct?
The manual I have isn't very specific.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-14-2007 01:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also try slightly tightening up the R-298-A Framing Cam Adjusting Ring, page 34 of the E-7 manual. This is the ring that holds the framing sector into the main frame casting. Friction on the framing sector can be increased by slightly tightening up this ring.

Mark

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2007 02:49 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E-7's are different from X-L's in holding the intermittent housing. Tighting the retaining ring may help.

There is a screw that tightens the round part the framing shaft goes through. This puts more pressure on the shaft to keep it from turning by itself. Look for this between the shutter housing and the body of the projector. I forget if there is a screw on both sides but I know there is on the gear side.

Always run film tension at just enough to keep the film from jumping. Any more just wears out parts. Hope this helps.
Dick

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2007 08:53 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I made it through both shows today with the framing staying put.
I re-tensioned the gate by backing the springs all the way out loose, then tightening them until that film smacking sound went away. I left the intermitten shoe pretty loose, though.
I didn't see any affect with the presentation, which is good.

I couldn't figure out which screw it is that adjusts the Framing Cam Adjusting Ring. The diagram in the manual seems to show a screw on the side of the ring, but I only saw the 3 small screws on the face of the ring ( which were all tight already ).

I did find the framing shaft screws. There is collar on each side on the shaft itself and then a clamp like one on the drive side. But all three of these screws were already tight.

So, time will tell if this was just a gate tension problem.
Since it has been off and on, I'll just have to keep a close eye on it for a while.

Thank you all very much for the help and quick responses!
Once again it has been Film-Tech to the rescue for me !!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: