Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Noisy print of 'Zodiac'

Author Topic: Noisy print of 'Zodiac'
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-24-2007 07:12 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran two shows of this yesterday. It was spooled up as parts 1-4, 5-8 and 9. Most of the first spool, probably parts 2-4, was very noisy running through the machine, Kinoton FP-30. it sounded rather like a very badly shrunken print, but since is's polyester, and new, it can't be. Part 9, running on the same machine, was ok, and I tried running the noisy part on the other machine, which was still noisy. The picture on screen was perfectly steady. Increasing and reducing the gate pressure both made things very slightly better. There seemed to be no damage to the print, e.g. pulled perforations etc., that could account for it. No problems with either of the other features which I ran on the same machines yesterday, nor with the adverts and trailers reel. Any ideas?

It's an almost new print, probably only been to a couple of places before us, but throughout most of the film there were strange emulsion side scratches. These were very small horizontal dashes, maybe a quarter of a milimetre or even less long, close to the right-hand edge of the picture. They were always in the same horizontal position, but moved vertically between frames, tending to gradually drift downwards. They were only deep enough to be in the magenta layer. Any suggestions as to what could cause this?

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Grahams
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2007 08:22 AM      Profile for Kevin Grahams   Email Kevin Grahams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a rub mark? Is it opposite soundtrack?
When we received our copy, reels 1 and 9 were new, reels 2 to 8 probably sent over from US although there was no clear indication that it had been treated

[ 06-26-2007, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Grahams ]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: