Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to use the Christie gauge block

Author Topic: How to use the Christie gauge block
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2007 11:17 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently ordered the gauge block for aligning the lateral guides, but I need instructions on its use.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-25-2007 09:02 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact Christie, they should have this info sheet. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2007 10:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While information sheets are nice they don't incluse the actual experience and fineese that one needs to properly use it. The only way to really learn is to do. The gauge block is marled and quite easy to figure out but you will find that it takes some fineese and feel to get things just right.

Mark

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2007 10:48 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know if Christie changed the design, but one needs to exert caution when aligning the lateral guide rollers.

Christie over-engineered the rollers by using inexpensive jewels (artificial rubies) sandwiched between the guide roller shaft and a set screw. They then used a perpendicular set-screw as the means of locking the previously mentioned set screw in place. Not the best or most appropriate design.

Anyhow, Christie has had problems with hardware on the gate and trap assembly loosening up, and their suggested fix was Locktight.

I actually had one projector whose tapped holes for the lateral guide set screws were very sloppy to the point where the set screws actually loosened up during a show and the lateral guide assembly actually fell apart.

Cheers

K

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2007 10:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy... the dead has arisen! Will, I'm getting really tired of that same old loose screw story. Of the hundred or so Christies I've serviced I've never had one fall apart in the middle of a show. The lateral guides will loosen up as the rubies wear but thats about it... the lateral guides in any projector including old Simplex's also loosen up if not properly maintained. Christies machining is about as good as it gets in this industry and is way ahead of everyone else. Had you done your job correctly you'd have replaced that trap or properly repaired it and you'd have replaced the threaded insert that is in the mainframe that the gate assy screws into. These repairs are of the most basic type. If you can't do those simple things we can all be glad that you aren't doing any repairs at all any more.

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2007 12:28 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Until now my method of "aligning" the guides was to use a feeler gauge to just give enough clearance on the outer half of the guide off the outer gate rail. But it was in another thread that someone (I believe it was Monte) mentioned the gauge block that Christie uses, so I ordered one, but it had no instructions for use. As for set screws coming loose, this has been a problem in the past for me aswell until I started applying light duty threadlocker.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of the over 100 that I service they all stay tight without threadlocker. Its possible that repeated heat expansion and contraction of the alumnium trap part is causing this, its also possible that the screws are just cheap or they may have the wrong tip on them... pointed vs. conical tip. but there's really nothing wrong with using blue threadlocker IMHO. I use it all the time. The red stuff is a no-no.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-25-2007 01:29 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen mods with these traps with 3/32" bearing "steelies" - being a good subsitute for the rubys if lost or worn. Just keep the rubys lubed with any teflon spray (Tri-flo is a good lube to use) to lube the rubies or steelies, but after awhile, you'll get lube buildup on these traps and good stuff to clean is rubbing alcohol with a small natural bristle paint brush.

But, true, I've never had any probs of setscrews loosening causing ruby loss or excessive wear.

Sorry, If I had a Christie to show you how to use the block, I'd take snaps to show you, but now I'm surrounded with all sorts of STRONG palore.
-Monte

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2007 12:40 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contacted Jim Graten at Christie and he walked me through all 3 functions of the gauge block. What a nifty little gadget.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-26-2007 03:26 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..now you can share what you've been taught by Jim to the rest of us that could use this device with the Christies..

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2007 11:02 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as I get my camera back I will post picks showing how to use the gauge block.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: