Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Wish Me Luck on my Xenon Bulb Training (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wish Me Luck on my Xenon Bulb Training
Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2007 10:30 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I will be trained on changing a Xenon Bulb. I'm excited, but, nervous at the same time. I opted to be trained to do this since none of my booth personnel wish to be trained. My technician will be training me. I have the basic understanding of how this is done, but, never did get the formal training until today when I go in. Anyway, wish me luck.

Oh yeah, we do have the appropriate safety gear in the booth for this type of job.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-25-2007 12:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chad

Relax. Once you've changed a few you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Having said that, you still need to treat them with care.

John

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2007 01:36 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, good news. I just got back from the theatre and the training was great. Once there, I wasn't even nervous. I had my hands on experience and it was a success. Anyway, I agree that handling the bulbs with great care is very important. My technician gave me great tips and showed me all of the details, etc. Anyway, thanks John for the tip. [Big Grin]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-25-2007 07:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I did my first bulb changeout - in a Cine 1600w vertical lamphouse back in 1978. Got all garbed up worrying to death of that thing blowing up on me and sweating like something else..and did the changeout with no problems, but it was so nervewracking since I've never done one before and no outside training neither - just the manual on how to change one out.

But, it took me a good half-hour to do that changeout since I was so nervous.

Now, I can flip one out and plop a new one back in within 5 minutes, and the HTP Christie bulbs are more easier to put in - no cables to fuss with.

Josh Rosen
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2007 08:32 PM      Profile for Josh Rosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the topic of Xenon changing I have a quick question.

At my theater we use Strong Highlite II consoles/lamp houses. I recently tried to change a bulb that is in desperate need of replacement, only to find that the Allen bolt that tightens to hold the negative electrode in the socket in the back is royally stuck. I think a technician changed it last time (someone royally f***ed up the lamp house because they didn't know how to change the bulb) and he made it really tight.

Three of us have tried to loosen the bolt now but it still won't budge. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to loosen it (normally with a really tight screw I would spray some WD-40 around it and it looses no problem, but I obviously have some reservations about spraying that stuff inside of the lamp house).

Thanks
Josh

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2007 09:13 PM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with your lamp house so if the Allen bolt is in a tight spot these suggestions may not help you but... Get yourself an strait Allen wrench that is like a screw driver. The smaller bent allens are harder to use on hard to turn bolts. If you need more leverage you can take a pare of vise grips and grip the Allen wrench and try that. Don't strip the head it can happen with allens if you don't have your wrench square. Also don't use vise grips on the Allen head depending on the diameter of the bolt you may snap the head off and then you have another problem. I bet if you use vise grips on the Allen wrench and be careful you should have no problem getting that bolt out. Also if you take a tooth pick and soak it with WD-40 and then dab it around the head. You should be able to apply a significant amount of WD-40 without spraying it just keep reapplying it until you are satisfied that the threads have a good soak.

Mike

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-25-2007 09:55 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't stress the quartz (glass) part of the bulb, but allow it to float free while loosening the allen screw. This is for your own safety. Louis

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2007 11:23 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Louis. Be careful. Safety is always important.

Anyway, when I did this first Xenon Bulb change-out, all I could think about was properly installing a new bulb safely and properly, which stopped me from being nervous because I focused at the job at hand making sure I did it right.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2007 11:58 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems to happen a lot. What you DON'T want to do is work the allen screw too hard because of your proximity to the lamp, and the fact that it is older. I have had to remove the lamp WITH the assembly still attached and take it out back and break the lamp in order to safely get the screw loose. Its really the only way to do it safely.

Josh Rosen
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2007 12:29 AM      Profile for Josh Rosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Don't stress the quartz (glass) part of the bulb, but allow it to float free while loosening the allen screw. This is for your own safety. Louis
Ya, this is why I have been reluctant to put force on it (especially because the bulb is now passed the max hours and is more suceptible to "failure").

I will give those suggestions a try and if all else fails, I guess we will have to remove the assembly and break the lamp.

Thanks for the input.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2007 01:54 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the allen screw wasnt tightened properly the power could arc and arc weld the screw and the lamp together. I would carefully break the little nipple thereby expelling the xenon gas, then I would carefully break the quartz so that you can really get on that sucker. or else change the assembly.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-26-2007 08:05 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How, exactly do you break off the little nipple safely? Louis

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2007 09:31 AM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis; I was just about to ask the same thing?
Can it be done?
Mike

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-26-2007 05:25 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Josh Rosen
I think a technician changed it last time (someone royally f***ed up the lamp house because they didn't know how to change the bulb)
FYI: your technicians might take offense at finding out you're blaming them for this without anything linking them to it. Especially in such a public forum. Hell, even if they did it, they still might look at it as being out of line.

Also, wouldn't the technician be the least likely person to not know how to change a bulb? At least I hope they would.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2007 07:18 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Josh Rosen
I think a technician changed it last time (someone royally f***ed up the lamp house because they didn't know how to change the bulb) and he made it really tight.
quote: Chris Slycord
FYI: your technicians might take offense at finding out you're blaming them for this without anything linking them to it. Especially in such a public forum. Hell, even if they did it, they still might look at it as being out of line.

I took it as the technician had to come out and correct someone else's f-up not that the tech f'd up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: