Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Transformers - Clint Phare Change Over Cues

Author Topic: Transformers - Clint Phare Change Over Cues
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-01-2007 12:12 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed them on reel 3 on one of our prints. I haven't screened them yet, and that was the last reel that I happened to handle, so I don't know if they're on any other reels yet. Anyone else notice them?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-01-2007 07:22 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it just reel 3? Also, what was your print number? A hand scribed cue with no lab cue is almost always indicative of an EK print (stuck off of camera original since one does NOT scribe a camera negative with cues).

If it was just one reel...it is possible it was rejected for screening use for some reason or another (too much dirt, or something else that would be picked off by a critical crowd). If you got a whole print like that then it is possible that after the screenings, they sent some of the EK prints to theatres (a very special treat) which does happen in major markets like NY and LA somewhat regularly. However, there are never very many of these prints in order to protect the original negative.

If it is an EK, then it should have a very steady appearance, better detail than you are used to and the colors should just pop as compared to a typical release print.

I will say that I ran a screening of Transformers with an EK "Showprint" and my feelings on the print were mixed. It was ultra-steady but the blacks were really lacking for an EK. The exposure also seemed a bit too much...like video clipping. I would caution against running this film at 16fL or above or it will just look blown out. It was shot scope however!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2007 08:51 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the process of negatives these days, since most films are scanned through a 2K DI? Do they just output the negative from the 2K DI? Or do they take the original camera negative, cut the shots out that dont require CGI, etc, and splice those in with shots that went through a 2K DI rendering?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: