Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon Bulb explosion upon ignition (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Xenon Bulb explosion upon ignition
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2007 08:54 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I struck the arc on my Kneisley Xenex II and the bulb exploded. It was a 1600 watt LTI HS bulb with about 900 hours on it. When I called my dealer, they contacted LTI who said the bulb was purchased in 2001, so the warranty is expired. I installed the bulb in my lamphouse in June of 2005, so it hadn't been in the machine very long. The explosion did major damage to my reflector which costs about a grand.

I run a limited schedule, Friday - Monday weekly, and put only about 500 hours a year on my equipment. If I buy a new spare bulb now, the warranty time may expire before I need to install the bulb. Should I "go commando" for a while without purchasing a new spare? Do Xenon bulbs really physically age sitting on the shelf unused?

Steve

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-05-2007 09:56 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this past week makes me feel like an Osram spokesperson.
Anyhow, Osram says, on p.35 of ENGR_BLTN11.pdf:

quote:

Storage
XBO lamps can be stored indefinitely, as far as can be determined for a product only 35 years on the market. The ambient conditions must however be nonaggressive, for example, no storage temperatures over 50°C no condensation, and a non-corrosive atmosphere. In these circumslances the material properties of quartz glass and tungsten change so slowly that no ageing effects are evident. Where storage effects do occur they usually affect external lamp parts such as the interiors of bases, the bases themselves and the power leads.

I certainly cannot speak to LTI's warranty policies.

--jhawk

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-05-2007 10:53 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most bulbs have a 5 year policy from Dealer purchase. Osram seems to be the exception. Stick with Osram if you need long-term warranty protection.

I have personally been bitten by the 5 year policy. I truly don't think anyone's bulb actually ages. I think they have too many lawyers. Louis

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2007 12:28 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were told to date and rotate our Christie bulbs. In a multiplex, bulbs don't stay on the shelf long anyway.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-05-2007 01:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should badger LTI till you get a reflector replacement or at least a pro-rated part if it... both on the phone, via your lawyer, and on this forum. That lamp was made back in their days of really iffy lamp construction so they shouldn't be argueing much with you about it. They have also defined another good reason NOT to be using their lamps. Brad has had them explode just sitting on the shelf!! Believe me buying the least expensive lamp NEVER pays in the end. You either receive major damage like you have or much shorter lamp life.

Mark

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2007 10:00 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had an issue like that with Osram. I have had a couple of bulbs blow that had sat on the shelf for more than 5 years, and Osram gave me full credit.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2007 10:08 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, sound like I'll be purchasing an Osram for a spare. I've never really understood why this lamphouse came from Kneisley set up to use the short arc lamp, it takes two extra adapters to make it fit. Should I consider switching to the long arc 1600 watt bulb?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-05-2007 10:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1600W long lamp and the 2000W standard lamp are either identical or nearly identical from most manufacturers. Christie is one of the few that does make a different vertical 1600-watt lamp (CXL-1600) from their 2000W horizontal lamp (CXL-20R) though one will physically fit in the other's place.

In general, the short arc lamps are more light efficent than their longer cousins though typically with less operating life. If the light is good with the 1600HS, I'd stick with it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-06-2007 07:47 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a pretty crappy warranty and yet another reason to stay away from LTI.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-06-2007 08:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Christie has a 2-year maximum warranty. For parts it is 90-days! We recently got burned by that one.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2007 11:32 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
For parts it is 90-days! We recently got burned by that one.
Same here. So much for keeping a spare shutter gear box and when you finally need to use it, it too begins to leak after a month or so.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-07-2007 12:01 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a side note:

Microsoft just released their end-of-year earnings statement.
They had to take a 2 billion dollar LOSS against their earnings because of too many warranty claims against the "X-Box 360"

A loss like that would probably put Christie out of business.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-07-2007 04:22 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not if they sold as many shutter gear boxes as Microsoft did X-Box 360s.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-07-2007 04:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our loss was on the LED/CDS assys. These were new with the factory heat shrink on the CDS cells...they wouldn't set to spec. Technically, the warranty (in Christie's Standard Warranty Statement) is supposed to begin when the first end user receives the items...these never made it to the first end user...Christie still denied our claim. How does one support a product like that? That is, how can a stocking dealer stock parts when the manufacturer won't support their own parts?. I wonder if they are going to be like that on the DCinema equipment? Don't keep a spare anything, if it is bad, you are out $7K or more!

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-07-2007 06:52 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hardball works.....especially if you sell enough. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: