Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Leaders on 'Ocean's Thirteen' (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Leaders on 'Ocean's Thirteen'
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-08-2007 11:54 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anybody has this film at the moment look at the very small text printed on three frames between '9' and '8' on the Academy leaders; it's rather interesting, and I've never seen anything similar on any other film.

Basically, it tells you what the film went through between the original camera, and the print, or digital release copy.

|  IP: Logged

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2007 01:38 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How'd you notice that? [eyes] I gave up trying to read it with my naked eyes and just used my digital camera.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-08-2007 05:08 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with the other O13 thread, please post the picture! [Big Grin]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-08-2007 05:23 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually borrowed the leader from one of the reels for a couple of days, but for the last few weeks I haven't been able to use my main computer with the scanners on it, as my landlord's son is using it to create his magnum opus in Final Cut Pro. He's encoding it tonight, to produce a DVD tomorrow morning, so I'll try to scan the leader when I get home tomorrow evening.

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2007 12:09 AM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got some pictures using my digital camera:

-

-

-

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-09-2007 02:36 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Hats off, Larry & Co! [thumbsup]
Everyone should do this!

[curious that it claims the film-outs were targetted for 2383 instead of 2393...hmm, reading the 2393 datasheet, I guess they're both 1.09/1.06/1.03. Funny, I'd always assumed there was some change necessary beyond just threading up the other stock. (Also, the 2393 datasheet still mentions Process ECP-2B, instead of ECP-2D...ah well)

It's also great to hear that there were multiple film-out INs.
That suggests that every (domestic) print is only 2 generations from the DI, which is about all you could ask for. Makes you wonder if there were any film-out release prints ("EK"?)...]

--jhawk

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-09-2007 08:57 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way cool! Thanks for the pictures, Jon! [thumbsup]

Mark Escorcia
Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2007 11:36 PM      Profile for Mark Escorcia   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Escorcia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's fun to learn something new every day... [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-11-2007 02:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool. I'd like to show that to all the people who can't understand why it costs a lot to make a movie.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2007 04:31 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 35 and Digital Intermediates [thumbsdown] ,

I'm sure Henri Chrétien is rolling in his grave.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-12-2007 04:00 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a vast difference between the best and the worst of digital intermediates. Going via a DI doesn't make something either good or bad.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-12-2007 06:50 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno about that Stephen...I've been really put off by DIs...they really seem to put the image though a bottleneck under close observation. Then again, O13 was shot Super-35 which is also a huge (or should I say tiny) bottle neck of its own. I found the grains rather large and easily observable in this film. What is the height in the aperture? .394"? or so...that is practically shooting on 16mm.

I don't know why there is this fascination with Super-35...there is nothing super about it except the grain size. If they want spherical lenses with the scope ratio, they need to see if they can handle 65mm.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-12-2007 07:36 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that most of the DI films I see don't look very impressive, but a few do, therefore it's possible to make a good DI. I think most of the good ones I have seen have been done by Technicolor.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-12-2007 07:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first one (the 2001 remake) was grainy as well. I belive that I read somewhere that this was an intentional artistic choice, and not so much an artifact of the process. The negative was probably slightly under-exposed (which gives more grain). Many DPs like to over-expose 5218 by 1/2 or 2/3 of a stop to reduce grain and the results look much better.

Super-35 keeps getting better, but I agree that the format is sub-standard for feature work (it probably makes good sense for material that will only end up on television and video, though). I talked with a DP about it a year or so ago, and it seems that the reasons for using it are basically that spherical lenses are smaller and lighter (thus, easier to work with in tight spaces and for handheld and steadicam work), and are more available and cheaper to rent. Also it makes some CGI work easier.

Agreed that DIs are generally unimpressive, but that there will be a good one every so often. Spider-Man 2 (4k DI) looked great and Astronaut Farmer (4k scan, 2k output) also looked quite good. Personally, I think that there is a certain amount of "magic" in an optical print that doesn't exist in a DI print, but I can't really articulate what it is or why it appeals to me.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-12-2007 11:37 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I can't stand that hard, grainy, desaturated look in the new "Die Hard". What's up with that? It ruined the show for me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: