Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Switcher Failure (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Strong Switcher Failure
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-10-2007 03:35 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I finally join the masses that have had Strong switchers conk out on them. Mine went tonight. Thankfully, it was a couple of minutes into our intermission clock.

This is a gray 6200019R, 7kW model. These are the ones that Strong was sending out after they discontinued support on the black 6284001 units (I still have two of them, working fine).

The "MAIN MOD" idiot light is lit. Is there a fix for this, or should I be calling for a new supply? The manual says it's a fuse. There are a million cover screws, revealing boxes with more screws. Gaaahhh.

Glad I keep spare power supplies. [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-10-2007 08:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack,

Send it down and I'll repair it for you!! Our rate is alot less than Strongs rediclous rates. The only ones I won't touch are ones in which the PCB has literally burned up... but that is rare any more. A module light can mean several things... possibly just a blown fuse but that is rare... fuses usually blow because of a catastrophic part failure, each module has a fuse and there are 4 in yours. More likely its shorted diodes and switching transistors along with the blown fuse. Also failure of the inrush limiter is fairly common, they usually open up and you can get a mod faulure light on that too. Your switcher is nothing more than 2 sets of 3kw units in parallel driven by a common drive circuit.

Do you have surge protection on your main panel AND booth panel? Having proper surge protection is the key to not having switchers fail. They do not like ANY high voltage spikes on the incomming AC! Needless to say the dufus's that build these left that important thing out of the switcher [Roll Eyes] . It could be built in!

P.S. I've never weighed the bunch of screws in one of those but its got to be upwards of 2 lbs.
Mark

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-10-2007 01:38 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the better option.

Gotta find someone to pack this thing now!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-10-2007 02:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and I fully agree with having the surge protection on the lines - I take care of an 8plex that has gone through more switchers than what I can count on my hand since the place has no surge support and the owners refuse to put in the protection in the lines..they think that the switcher blowing is a manufacturer defect more than a line defect.

They don't believe in dirty power I guess...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-10-2007 02:58 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure makes the case for an old fashioned, funky IREM that you repair yourself using parts kept in one end of a shoebox. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-10-2007 03:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Sure makes the case for an old fashioned, funky IREM that you repair yourself using parts kept in one end of a shoebox. Louis

Some folks just fear the computer world....
Actually the Switchers are not at all hard nor expensive to repair. The parts are in reality about 1/4 the cost of a set of IREM diodes. The biggest difficulty is removing all the hardware.... mark all the panel ends so it all falls back together easily too. Repairing a switcher is no more difficult than dealing with those stupid IREM movable core tensioning screws. Parts for switchers also are super easy to get. I would be happy to give a mini-seminar on repairing them at the next Film-Tech Drink night if you'd like.
Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-10-2007 05:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, is there a book or manual or something about "how to diagnose and repair rectifier issues safely"? This is something that I would like to learn, but which no one has shown me how to do. Specifically, I'm interested in the old-style rectifiers, as they are more common, but anything would be useful.

Someone (Mark?) should do a short video about this topic. I'd buy a copy.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-10-2007 05:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't do videos... I already spent my time working in television [Eek!] . As I said I would be happy to have a small seminar at Drink Night... next Showorst. It could be a BYOBS night.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-10-2007 07:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I could come down to SLC, with a bunch of dead STRONG switchers that I have here, and do a fotoshoot/storytelling thingey at his shop for the forum..if Mark wants to do that ..)

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-10-2007 07:08 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Markie-baby
I don't do videos...
That's okay, Mark. We've been sufficiently desensitized by your member picture. I think we can handle you on video. [Razz]

Really, let someone mic you and just roll a camera at the Drink.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-10-2007 07:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still spec strickly magnetic rectifiers on all new builds
As for TVSS I really should not have to provide it based on what is the requirements of devices connected to any electrical service
which I believe even the NEC state shall not cause disruptions to other devices connected to the service

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-10-2007 07:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
As for TVSS I really should not have to provide it based on what is the requirements of devices connected to any electrical service
which I believe even the NEC state shall not cause disruptions to other devices connected to the service

That may be true but a wise peraon includes it in any new build or major rebuild to safeguard equipment. With the piss poor power I've experienced in Canada I would think it a high priority to install them.

quote: Gordon McLeod
I still spec strickly magnetic rectifiers on all new builds

The solid state devices in magnatic rectifiers are NO LESS susceptable to incomming line spikes than are the solid state devices used in switchers. Actually the switcher diodes which are very high speed are probably less susceptable. They are the same PIV rating 1200 volts and 1600 volts as is used in most new magnetic rectifiers being built today. Line spikes can also be caused by other equipment within a given building, just another reason to include them as part of an installation.

quote: Tim Reed
Really, let someone mic you and just roll a camera at the Drink.

Tim... I would expect you to do it then... There's no way Joe's tape'n me!! I suspect it would come out looking like a wedding video.... [Eek!]

I have posted photos of the switcher's guts in past threads.....

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-10-2007 08:42 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Tim... I would expect you to do it then... There's no way Joe's tape'n me!! I suspect it would come out looking like a wedding video....
Are you planning to wear a gown? [evil]

Seriously, though, if someone is willing to tape Mark's demonstration and already has a video camera, I'll happily offer to pay to rent a light kit and some good microphones for the day. It's cheaper than a trip to Vegas.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-11-2007 09:26 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Mark is going to do the video I will be willing to loan the Pyrex lens used to capture my member picture. My wife says she wants it back so that she can continue to include me in family pictures. Louis

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2007 01:58 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What surge protector is recommended? Leviton?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: