Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Chance to buy FP23. Any reason to stay away from this model ?

Author Topic: Chance to buy FP23. Any reason to stay away from this model ?
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2007 10:19 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an opportunity to pick up a Kinoton FP23.
Last projector I bought I did not ck here first for advice and regretted my purchase so I am turning to everyone for advise on this model. I know it is not based on the current model everyone endorses. I know parts are not cheap because it is made over seas.
Are there any performance issues I should watch out for or any reason I should stay aways from this model. Id be buying just the head.

Thank you!!

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-11-2007 11:45 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the FP-23, but it sounds like it would be the same basic mech as the FP-20. Assuming it's in good condition, there's no reason to avoid the older Kinoton machines; indeed, there are certain things on them that I prefer to the later models.

Parts availability shouldn't be a problem, the only real downside to them is that they are quite different to other makes of projector; It might not be a good idea to put one odd one in a place that's mainly something else, e.g. Simplex or Century, both from the parts stock and staff training point of view.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2007 01:14 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While many parts on the FP-23 are identical to the much larger FP-20 (such as the sound reader and sprockets), internally they are different.

The FP-23 was manufactured in various different configurations over the years. It was sold as a stand alone to be mounted on an "American" style xenon console, there was a small version that mounted on a tri-pod, there was an "T" model that held 6000' reels over the projector, and an "X" model that had a seperately powered 6000' takeup under the head.

Pictured below is a FP-23X from a private screening room. Parts are available from Kinoton and Brad here at Film-Tech is a Kinoton dealer.

-

The projector above consists of 4 pieces. The base that contains the powered take up, the projector motor, the rectifier for the lamphouse, and the control electronics. Above it is the actual FP23 head (picture and sound in 1 unit), above it is the feed arm, and behind the head is the Kinoton 700 watt xenon lamphouse.

The rectifier for the 700 watt xenon lamphouse is in the base along with the powered takeup.

As too Alan's specific question, just make sure the intermittant is in good condition and that there is no jitter in the picture. Verify that it is not leaking lots of oil internally. Anything else can be repaired or replaced without major expense.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-11-2007 02:08 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an FP-23 that I ran for a premiere screening of a Hallmark movie for the college in my town back in 1999:

-

With Mark G. and I - we set this equipment up (the FP came over from Chicago) for the screening. Lamphouse held a 2k bulb.

I was totally impressed on how this machine ran and had a very steady picture - quietest and smoothest machine that I ever ran.

-Monte

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-11-2007 07:04 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't go too far wrong with this machine as it puts out a very nice picture, runs very quietly and lasts forever as long as you change the gate parts every now and then. For private use, it will last forever. Make sure it's complete. Nothing worse than ending up with missing parts on something like this as theres nothing else to rob parts from.

I do make a very nice retrofit analog reader for this, which no one else does. Kinoton make a replacement soundhead but it's expensive.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2007 12:00 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. I love the pictures.
It will be a few weeks before I decide what I will do
as I am now told the projector is in a trailer because the company is in the middle of a move. Ill let everyone know if I get the machine. Based on all the comments here I see no reason to pass this up unless something changes on the dealers end. Thank you!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: