Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Potts Platter Puzzler: Arm pooped, won't drive Motor!

Author Topic: Potts Platter Puzzler: Arm pooped, won't drive Motor!
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-11-2007 02:28 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one that's got me. Type 3 Alpha 5-deck platter. The very bottom arm (you know, the easiest one to work on!) won't run any motor that's plugged into it. The motors all work fine on the other arms, but no matter which motor you plug into the bottom arm, it won't go.

The arm WILL work (i.e., drive a motor) on makeup, however, but not on rewind or payout. I've already installed a new selector switch, thinking that's about the only thing it could've been, but I was wrong. The AMP pins are in excellent shape and fit snugly to the motor plug, and in the connector itself.

I have continuity from the variac, through the column, through the selector switch, to the motor receptacle... and I EVEN HAVE VARIAC VOLTAGE all the way to the end of the line at the motor connector.

However, the variac voltage disappears when I connect a load (a motor) to the motor receptacle on the arm. The voltage on the other arms is unchanged; it just drops to zero on the bottom arm. I remove the motor plug, and there's my variac voltage back.

I've had the arm off the column and could find no shorts or opens, so I'm stumped as to where to look next. Anyone had a similar problem?

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2007 08:28 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I would look for a high resistance in the feed system to the motor. The clue is that there is voltage present with the small load of the meter but that drops to nothing when a load like the motor is attached. Perhaps a loose terminal or rosin solder connection in the circuit.

KEN

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-11-2007 09:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken is on the right track. When I worked as a bench tech I wold see this effect from time to time and its usually from bad solder connections or an open resistor... in your case probably a bad crimp or connection... pinched wire, etc.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-12-2007 10:48 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had several bad connections on the multi-pin plug inside the arm/column. In one case, one pin was too small (different series of connector). Louis

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-12-2007 11:32 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys! Will keep looking.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: