Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » PTR Rollers decomposing?

Author Topic: PTR Rollers decomposing?
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-13-2007 08:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone experienced PTR rollers decomposing? I mean they have changed color from a bluish clear (glossy type) to a foggy gatoraide green. But what is really bad is they seem to have become extra sticky and gooey! In fact, the aflicted roller(s) will leave a sticky residue on your hands! The rollers will have a consistency of gummy bears.

I have now seen an entire batch of them turn this way just sitting in their FPC box, still wrapped in their FPC plastic (they now use wax paper). It seems to matter not if they are used or not. These rollers always seemed to be extra sticky when they were new.

Anyone else experience this? John P...any ideas? They are genuine FPC(Kodak) rollers

Steve

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-13-2007 08:40 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the rollers are less than a few years old, they should be returned to FPC for evaluation of the problem, and possible credit.

With several years age, heat and humidity will take their toll on the soft polyuretane.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-13-2007 09:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are circa 2003. They have been in a temp/humidity controlled environment. I just checked a set that I used for a particular client for studio screenings (infrequent use, but the client loves them so we make him happy)...sure enough they are suffering from this decomposition. The two rollers on this one are the same age...one has all but fogged over (can still see the FPC logo but it looks more like a matte roller) the other is still translucent but is VERY sticky. Both are about the same color green though if you look on edge you can see where they were more blue (down by the hub).

Whom at FPC (Kodak) would I contact about this?

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-13-2007 09:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen this and we have Kelmar PTR cleaners on over 300 screens! I'm at a location today (deseret... hot and dry) whose PTR's are around 7 years old and still working just fine. They have discolored at the edges somewhat where the perfs run across them but that doesn't seem to matter at all. I think you just have a bad batch of em.

Mark

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-14-2007 02:45 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ray Rayas is the current PTR contact at Kodak FPC in Hollywood.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: