Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » UK DTS Media Support - gone loco?

Author Topic: UK DTS Media Support - gone loco?
Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2007 06:28 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am wondering if this is a situation unique to our theatre alone, but I've noticed in recent weeks that all the communications from DTS seem to have dried-up!

We used to get monthly emails telling us about new Access disk releases; the disks themselves would duly arrive within the week! Now the emails have stopped and the number of disks supplied have decreased significantly.

All the emails I send to my past contacts at DTS have fallen on deaf ears and I am now worried what we will do next time we need a soundtrack CD ROM - we never get them from our distributors any more!

Anyone else in the UK had any problems?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-14-2007 07:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As DTS seems to be splitting up their divisions...in particular the cinema division is separating from the consumer stuff...there seems to be a little slow-down in operations. I don't know they are doing it outside of the US but I know that emails are changing in the US...I think that if domain was "dts.com" is will now be "dtscinema.com"

Steve

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2007 06:50 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When did the last DTS-trailers disc arrive at your theater? I also am on the list to recieve the discs, but I'm waiting for 2 months now and still haven't seen any trailer-disc yet...

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2007 12:15 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't screen trailers in our theatre so I can't help there -sorry!

The point of my initial posting was that:

1. DTS seem to be reducing their subtitling and audio description support for new relases. This, interestingly, comes at the END of a year where a lot of theatres received lottery funded grants to install equipment to improve disabled access! I wonder if the 'honeymoon' period for DTS access is over?

2. Support from DTS, in general, seems to have taken a 'nose dive'. This is particularly unfortunate bearing in mind the fact that they used to be so brilliant at helping their customers in the past. As an art house theatre, we rely 100% on DTS sending us any required soundtrack disks - we don't get them from distributors any more (despite numerous requests and subsequent protests). If DTS is unable to support our requests in the future, our digital sound facilities are essentially defunct!

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2007 02:24 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That stinks! [bs]

In The Netherlands, the art house theatres mainly use Dolby Digital or some kind of analog processing. There are a few prints that have DTS, but the majority of the prints are DD...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: