Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Intermitttent Problem Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Intermitttent Problem Question
Joe Woodall
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2007 11:30 PM      Profile for Joe Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Woodall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI everyone ,

Sorry to ask for your help right off the bat, but were in a real mess. I looked through the postings and could not find any answers to my projector problem.

I'm new to your forum ; we operate a D/I in NE GA and have 3 screens using about 1934 year model regular simplex projectors.

Sunday night I noticed a slight undercut during rewinding 1 of the films and choose to make a quick change of the sprocket on the intermitttent movement. I've done it before without any problems, so I took it apart looked into my supplies and but didn't have the same sprocket to interchange (screw in the middle type) - but we have several old intermittents from my former circuit days and so I used one & put a new sprocket on its shaft. Its the 2 pin type. It wobbled so bad you couldn't hardly see the picture. No adjustment of the gate or springs would fix it and Clearly to my eye had a bent shaft I thought. Don't think I did it but who knows. On to 2nd Movement building.

I tried another intermittent, also VERY careful this time not to bend anything; put on the new sprocket and the films still is jumping on the screen. Its better than the first movement , no clear bent star drive shaft, but you can't show a movie this way.

We've gotta have all 3 screens back by Fri. night, So Could Someone Please Tell Me How To Fix This ?
Thank you very much.
Joe Woodall

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-25-2007 05:29 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and welcome to Film-Tech. My experiences with the film bouncing up and down on the screen that gunk gets built up inbetween the teeth of the sprocket causing this bouncing problem.

I don't believe that a sprocket that uses those pins (called taper pins - for the STANDARD, Super and E-7 Simplex machines) can be used, what it seems that you have are XL's since your description of the center screw mounted sprocket to the shaft.

Of course, are you aligning the sprocket, when replacing it, esp. with the rebuilds that you've done, with the rest of the sprockets on the machine? An out of align sprocket could cause some side pull within the sprockethole which could be causing the bouncing ..

Course, wonder if reversing the sprocket would help some..

..just helping out since we don't know the exact model of your projectors..please update with what you have, or even picts would help also.

thx - Monte

Is this ailment on all three screens, or just the one?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-25-2007 07:55 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go back and replace the current intermittent with the intermittent you originally had in the machine. Then I would remove the sprocket from that one and reverse it so that you are pulling the film down with the other side of the teeth.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-25-2007 10:05 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Careful, I'm sure you know that most parts for Simplex regular are not easily available.

Suggest that it is high time to install a Century SA if light is valued at this drive in. Louis

Joe Woodall
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2007 10:15 AM      Profile for Joe Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Woodall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,
1st they are all three regular Simplex machines, some of the family jewels, but over the years parts and the movements were swaped about with whatever was available. The turning of the sprocket is something I thought of when I first saw the undercut Sunday, but that sprocket has already been turned by the previous owner.

I'm having this problem with the 1 projector that I tore into Sunday night , but it is a problem that manifest itself very slightly on 1 other machine. It too had a sprocket change, about a year ago and it has a slight tick, up & down, but nothing like what's going on with this one.

Guess I'm going to have to try to reinstall the original sprocket and order a new one with hopes it will arrive in time & then will work properly. Very confused why this happened though. A Cousin once told me that when installing a sprocket in the intermittent, you have to adjust it and run it in, a several hour process sometimes. I though, I had done so, but this one's sure got me over the barrel.

Thanks for trying to help me.
Joe

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2007 12:34 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by?
quote: Joe Woodall
It wobbled so bad ...
Have you tried turning the motor by hand while checking to see if the intermittent sprocket teeth are possibly rubbing on the shoes?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-25-2007 01:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a side note: When one disassembles and reassembles an assembly to do whatever, that the cam and starwheel must be in exact proportion so the cam pin enters into the starwheel at the exact place it need to be...and this is accomplished by "tuning" the two halves of the case til the "sweet spot" is achieved for both units.

..just something to ask about... good luck-Monte

Joe Woodall
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2007 01:27 PM      Profile for Joe Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Woodall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Sir I Did Check But Their Not Rubbing and didn't have any problems with the shoes prior either. Everything is in great shape just got the wobble on the screen when the new sprocket was installed in 2 movements.
Do you know what if any, adjustments are to be made when installing new sprockets ?

Monte do you mean I should rotate the star inside, before assembly, to a veriable position and I can achieve a lesser wobble thereby effecting an adjustment ?

Thanks
Joe

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-25-2007 01:50 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The taper pin installation is not for anyone who does not have the reamer and pin press. If the pin is merely forced into the hole and not properly reamed you will have very severe verical jump. Louis

Joe Woodall
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2007 01:58 PM      Profile for Joe Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Woodall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,
I understand the need for the right equipment. I did not have the reamer and pin setter but the holes were wide open and the pins just droped right into the holes, no problem there. The shaft is straight and I personally can not see a jump of the sprocket with the naked eye when turning the projector by hand or when running the projector, yet it is jumpy , or giggly on the screen. I going back to re-install the original sprocket & try it & order a new screw pin sprocket too.
Thanks for your help.
Joe

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2007 02:12 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some jobs that must be done with the correct tools. Louis has it right. You cannot compromise when you consider the size of the frame to that on screen. This in one job that MUST be done correctly.

If you don't have the correct replacement parts then leave well alone. Get someone in that has the tools and the experience to do it right. In the long term it pays. If you f*** up imagin how much a reconditiond unit will cost you.

The other consideration is the damage to your business reputation while you take time to experiment.

Get it done once, get it done right.

Regards Ken.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2007 02:14 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes a physical force placed in the intermittent assembly can bend the intermittent framing cam retainer clip.

If the retainer clip is bent, the framing cam assembly could be out of alignment causing a misalignment between the sprocket teeth and the sprocket shoes. Or, the whole intermittent assembly and framing cam could be moving up and down very slightly while the machine is in operation.

Is there any way to use a pin depth gauge on the edge of a sprocket to detect a mechanical variation while the sprocket is in operation?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-25-2007 04:15 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the movement is in the locked position, can you move the sprocket circumferentially by hand? If so, either the taper pins aren't properly fit, and/or there is too much clearance between the star and cam in that movement.

I suppose the sprocket itself could be asymmetrical... remote possibility.

Btw, since we're talking Regular Simplexes... these aren't single-bearing movements by any chance, are they?

Joe Woodall
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2007 04:25 PM      Profile for Joe Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Woodall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Again,

Found a sprocket on another movement that had the screw , it was turned around , installed and the picture is great. Booth tested at least, until tonight, but the picture on cardboard in a dark booth look fine.

Now on to making the other movements that I have bench ready. Where does one purchase the right tools and what does one ask for when asking ?

Thanks
Joe

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-25-2007 05:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lavezzi sells the reamers amd punvh and a v block

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: