Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong platter motor tire

Author Topic: Strong platter motor tire
Christopher Howland
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2007 09:00 AM      Profile for Christopher Howland   Email Christopher Howland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone, I've been reading the forums every day but i now finally have a problem of my own.

I've had an interesting problem with one of my strong platter systems. The top platter motor tire cannot get a grip in the underside of the platter. When i start a film and the top platter is taking up, it either takes too long to get a grip and the dancer drops, tripping the failsafe, or the dancer drops so low the motor spins up really fast and raises the dancer all the way to the stops, which pulls the film off of the bottom lower roller on the projector if i don't hold it. This also applies when the top platter is paying out.

Is there any adjustment or something i can do so the motor tire doesn't slip so much on the platter?

It looks like the tire is not putting enough pressure on the underside of the platter

Any help you could give would be great. This site has been an amazing wealth of information so far.

On a side note: I changed my second bulb in my career a few days ago; a little intimidating, but it went smoothly, hehe

[ 08-07-2007, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Christopher Howland ]

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-07-2007 12:31 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first step is to assure that the platter is not warped. If so, repair or replace.

If that is OK, then the motor needs to be adjusted slightly upward. (slots in motor bracket.) Louis

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2007 12:32 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The motor assembly can be moved up very easily with a 3/8 wrench.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2007 04:33 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or the tire could need replacing. Check to see if its more wore down than the others.

If you do have to adjust the motor check the manuals section of this site for instructions.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-28-2017 02:30 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 3492 days since the last post.

Garry Knapp
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2017 02:30 PM      Profile for Garry Knapp   Author's Homepage   Email Garry Knapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone have a source for these tires?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-28-2017 04:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hoover vacuum belts works great. What they originally are.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-28-2017 06:50 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a standard size O-ring, but I forgot the stock number many years ago. Any O-ring supplier generally stocks all 400 or so standard US sizes. Take a worn one with you and it will be pretty easy to find.

Garry Knapp
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2017 03:48 AM      Profile for Garry Knapp   Author's Homepage   Email Garry Knapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found them [Smile]
Global rubber prod (scarborough)

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2017 10:02 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I mostly do change-over work, at the theaters where
they still have platters that are rarely used, I find it's a good
idea to jam a small wedge behind the motor bracket to lift the
drive tire away from the platter which will keep it from developing
a flat spot on one side.

I've found that half of a wooden clothes-pin works really well as
a small wedge to use for this.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2017 11:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weather its a round one or a flat version its actually a vacuum cleaner belt. Take the bad one to a Vacuum cleaner shop and have them match it up.

Having spent lots of time with Bob Potts over the years I have some insight on most of the parts he used including the outdoor patio table tops and Hoover motors and distributor points. The Farm & Fleet patio table tops were only used for the first few years until production outgrew them. Bob also had a nifty folding Honda motorcycle to travel to his destination on when he flew around in his plane. I'm not sure what kind of belt or vacuum motor the plane ran on.

Mark

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2017 01:36 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized the comment I made about 'wedging' the motor
applied to Christie, and not Strong platters. But releasing
the motor tension on either a Strong or Christie platter
when it's not going to be used for an extended time is a still
a good idea, to avoid getting 'flat spots' on either the
Strong 'tire' or the Christie rubber-thingy on the motor shaft.

Here in San Francisco, there's a place ("Murphy & Simi Co")in
the commercial district that stocks wheels & wheel bearings
for just about any device you can think of. Larry Speer, a long
time talented SF theater tech, found a wheel there that was
a perfect match for (and much cheaper than) the Strong platter
"tires" & always kept a few extra ones around as spares.

I wish I had gotten the Murphy & Simi part number from him,
since M&S stocks literally thousands of different size wheels,
axles, & bearings, etc . . so picking through their stock bins
without the part number would be an all day task.

(No, I can't ask Larry. Unfortunately he passed away suddenly
about a year ago. He was a great tech, and a good friend) [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: