Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I thinks I solved my dailies projector situation! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I thinks I solved my dailies projector situation!
Steve Beverly
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2007 12:16 AM      Profile for Steve Beverly   Email Steve Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought another dallies projector. It is kinda an Volkswagen version of Mark's all in one "Warnerphponic" Century SA-interlock projector/sound reproducer thought up by Steve Kraus:

-

Mine is a bit smaller and more wieldy. It's an Atlas studio modified dallies projector from the late 80s. It has a SuperSimplex projection head and both optical and mag reel sound capabilities. I need to upgrade to a Xenon light source either install a new lamphouse (preferably a ORC if I can find one at a good price) or modify the incandescent one. I also need to install a red reader, Dolby CP-50 or 65 with 280T SR cards, an Isco anamorphic lens and an amp with speakers all on casters and portable of course along with a 14ft portable projection screen! Here's what it looks like and I THINK it's gonna be EXACTLY what i need after I'm through upgrading it:

-

-

-

-

-

-

The Simplex gate is modified and will allow projection in both forward and reverse. It also came with 6 aperture plates and a slew of spare parts. I also got it at a fair enough price so it's worth doing all the mods I'll have to do. [Cool]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-21-2007 07:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unweildly yes! But now you're more on track. At least you'll have a steady enough image to be able to tell whats going on. You can also add Posi-Trol sprockets to that projector if you want to.

Mark

Steve Beverly
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2007 08:34 PM      Profile for Steve Beverly   Email Steve Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I said MORE WIELDY than your gorgeous Century SA setup [Big Grin] but I am glad to hear you're conformation that this should work for me. (It woulda sucked if I had taken yet ANOTHER mis-step!) I'm REALLY jazzed about getting it. Is it possible to upgrade the lamphouse to a Xenon fixture or does it pretty much have to be replaced? also the guy I bought it from, couldn't identify the sound head,(he thinks it could be custom made) am I going to have problems installing a modern reader? I noticed there seemed to be some room in the cabinet, do you think it would be a mistake to try and install the Dolby unit and amp in there and should they be installed in a separate roll around rack or will they be OK if I were to increase the ventilation in it? ALSO he said the mag sound had been disconnected but was still in the machine and that in might require rewiring, How big a problem am I looking at if it DOES require work, is it complicated or relatively simple to rebuild these if they need it. Also how hard is it and how much would it cost to add Posi-Trol sprockets to the projector? Thanks-Steve [Cool]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2007 09:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will need to buy or build some sort of lamphouse table to mount a Xenon onto. If you go the ORC route they are quite heavy... around 85 lbs or so. So take that into account.

It looks like it has a Simplex slit lens mount and a Kelmar solor cell but a close up of the sound reproducer would help there. If theya re standard parts and I'm pretty sure Atlas did use standard parts down there then installing a red reader is a cinch. If its what I think it is then you could use a BACP RSTR reverse scanner kit in there.

You can install Posi-Trol sprockets on the upper and lower projector sprockets anytime... If the intermittent has a screw and nut holding the sprocket on then you can also install one there. The intermittent one is the more desirable location for the Posi-Trol as it eliminates about 98% of any sideweave... Adding the upper also helps get rid of the last little bit of weave, the lower sprocket is not as critical but its still nice to have it there.

If your intermittent has it's sprocket held on by taper pins then you just need to locate another movement that has the later style "screw and nut" sprocket. You will have to tear the movement down in order to install the sprocket. There are no more taper pin sprockets available. Posi-Trol

Steve Beverly
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2007 10:05 PM      Profile for Steve Beverly   Email Steve Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you recommend a better alternative (again price being a factor) than the ORC? After all, I probably only need 500 to 1000 watts. When the unit physically arrives here, I'll take some more pics of the guts and see what you think. Also I looked at the Posi-trol site, which of these would work for the SuperSimplex? Thanks-Steve

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-23-2007 08:52 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The casting parts are from Simplex so a reverse scan could be fitted.
I have a rebuilt intermittent with a positrol sprocket if you are interested.
If the mounted centerline from the center of the siteglass or aperture is at least 9 inches then it would be easy to mount an extension plate on the rear to support a small xenon lamphouse.
The Atlas was a common dailies projector at one time in Los Angeles.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-23-2007 10:05 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None of the red readers will fit without some hassle. The issue is the solar cell or LED mount. It will need a riser of some sort as the soundhead baseplate is lower than that of the Simplex.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-23-2007 10:11 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's always the Jaxlight or Marble LED slit lens option, too.

If he's just running his own films, however, he won't need an LED reader, as long as he orders silver or high-magenta tracks.

On the topic of dailies equipment, here's my home setup (don't laugh, please):

-

I'm told that the bases are Kelmars, but I would be interested to know if anyone can provide more information about when and why these were made. They can only accommodate 1000' reels of mag, which seems odd to me. Also, the projectors have the cutout in the back for the mag film to enter below the intermittent, but no cutout in the front for the picture to exit. Is it possible that this was a conversion that was started but never finished, or is there some other reason why this might have been done?

Suppose that someday I wanted to upgrade to larger lamphouses (e.g. Super Lume-X, etc.)--are larger lamphouse tables available somewhere as a stock item, or would something have to be custom made? The Cinemeccanica lamps that I currently have will only accommodate bulbs up to 1600w.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2007 12:15 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Scott,

Is that power supply really bleeding onto the floor??

Do you screen a lot of horror films?

Just kidding.

KEN [Razz]

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 12-23-2007 12:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Thankfully, no. The paint on the floor is just chipping.

Also, the fire rollers are long gone and DTS readers have been installed.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-23-2007 01:14 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
the projectors have the cutout in the back for the mag film to enter below the intermittent, but no cutout in the front for the picture to exit.
Scott, isn't there an extra roller or some alternate path for the pix to take down and out the bottom of that soundhead?

If not, it's easy enough to just hacksaw a slot in the front of the projector and add some platter rollers on a small bracket.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 12-23-2007 01:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim -- you may be right. There's no extra roller, but it looks as if the picture might be able to just barely make it directly down through the soundhead, if the solar cell bracket were narrower:

-

I put in the LED readers recently, so it obviously wouldn't work with these in place. I don't have the mag heads, anyway...I was mostly just curious about how it would work if I had the right parts.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2007 02:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are indeed Kelmar bases... Call Tom for more info on those but I think Andy designed those back in the early or mid 70's. Nice setup!

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-23-2007 04:51 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Atlas would need a little machine work...but it should not be a deal breaker. Andy designed that interlock based originally for a New York Ad agency. He had it designed so that the projector/soundhead was balanced on the base and he had the drive motor in the base so as not to throw off the balance (not sure if Norwood's version is set up that way). The playback between magnetic and optical was a custom mount in which you push-pull a part to play either format.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-23-2007 07:12 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Scott!

Yes, look at the angle on the termination panel cover. This should be the pix path:

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: