Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Chris Moyles ad (UK)

Author Topic: Chris Moyles ad (UK)
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2007 01:53 AM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone here running the Chris Moyles Radio 1 advert in UK cinemas before the movie starts? There's no picture at all, apart from the BBFC 'U' logo at the very beginning and a short BBC Radio 1 logo at the end - the rest is all audio.

In my opinion, having an advert like this is just a waste of film. 95% of the advert is just black with audio! It would be better if the advert was run audio-only (CD or MP3 going into the non-sync) while the house lights are still up before starting the projector. Either that, or just don't strike the projector lamp until the end of the advert (with the logo).

Still, at least it gives you a lot of scrap 'black film' to use for threading and changeovers when the advert is removed from the showreel!

Any thoughts or comments on this?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-29-2007 10:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Most theaters don't have the capability to automate such a task (or they are not running manually). This is why the attached trailers are always scope on a scope movie. The entire thing is dumbed down for the masses.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2007 06:08 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard from several Odeon Projectionist's that this is not a popular Ad as it is poor presentation as most of the Automation at most sites can not be programmed to start the film with House Lights up and then pulsed down on the Ads and when it starts the Floor Staff keep phoneing the Projectionist to say the film has started but no picture!.

I guess the Cinemas are being paid by the BBC with our "TV Licence" Money to hear/see this crap.

Can you belive it now that the average Pre-show programme can be as long as 35 minutes before you get to see the film you paid to see.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-30-2007 03:00 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, if they are going thru the trouble of putting it on film, then they should at least put a static logo on the screen so it doesn't look like a mistake. Then again, they are RADIO people -- what do they know about cinema? They think as long as you hear sound, your done! [Roll Eyes]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-30-2007 03:06 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Appears to me it may just be another wunderkind idea from an advertising guru..."It's a radio ad...let's not have anything on screen."

We have a Vodafone ad on screen right now which features an entire SMPTE leader countdown including the crap before the leader. I spend my entire life trying to keep leaders off the screen and now we are forced to screen one in its entirety 6 times a day. [thumbsdown]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-30-2007 09:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Most theaters don't have the capability to automate such a task (or they are not running manually). This is why the attached trailers are always scope on a scope movie. The entire thing is dumbed down for the masses.

This is a problem that Digital has definately cured!!

Mark

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2007 11:14 AM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ad in question is part of a 4 min BBC promo reel. The radio promo is 2 mins ending with the static logo, and it then runs straight into a promo for Doctor Who or Mighty Boosh.

It is a bit daft with audio only, especially as it's 2 minutes before you can focus up on anything. Why not just have the logo displayed for the whole 2 mins, at least people wouldn't be coming out asking why there's no picture.

We're supposed to keep houselights up for the BBC promo then down for the rest of the pre-show, here we leave them up for the whole pre-show as has been stated the limited automation we have can't do this. Well, it could do quite easily with an extra relay, but they don't want to pay to do the modification.

I believe it's due to be changed out middle of January for whatever show the BBC want to plug next, not sure if it'll still be a radio ad too. Carlton will be sending out the weekly ad reels with BBC pre-attached, but not until they've invested in bigger film cans and transit cases!

Standard Odeon pre-show is now 30 minutes, BBC 4 mins, Carlton 12 mins, Trailers 10 mins, company titles 2 mins, Gold Spot 2 mins.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-30-2007 02:06 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is a problem that Digital has definately cured!!

It's also very easily solved by having a Projectionist in the booth running the show! [Big Grin]

And I am no automation guru, and I don't play one on TV, but I don't exactly understand why this is such a difficult thing to automate. Can't you program lights separately from projector functions?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-30-2007 03:22 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chatting with my mother over Christmas, she described a recent trip to the Wimbledon Odeon to see the The Golden Compass which was spoiled by an ad/trailer reel that lasted almost 40 minutes, and the Moyles ad specifically (which she stated emphatically convinced her never, ever to listen to his show). I haven't 'experienced' it myself, but agree completely that (i) a 'black screen with audio only' ad has got to be very short and very clever to avoid p***ing off the audience no end, and (ii) 40 minutes for the BS reel is way, way too long. It must also be hell for the front-of-house staff having to deal with complaints from customers about there being no picture.

When I worked for City Screen the rigid, unbreakable rule was that the pre-show stuff ran 15 minutes and no more. 12-13 was about the average, and was the most our customers would bear without writing negative comments in the visitors' book. It's not like turning on the TV: these people have PAID to see the show. A few ads with better scripts and higher production values than your average TV ads are fine, but this is taking the mickey. I do fear that as digital projection becomes more widespread, longer BS reels will become the norm because there won't be the price of film stock to deter advertisers.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2007 08:02 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all automations are created equal. We went for the Panamation system which allows you to program shows as if a projectionist was in the booth. Of course, a projectionist does have to be in the booth for that vital 20 seconds at the start of each show to check that everything is right. Then the projectionist can help show the audience to their seats in the dark and check the sound. We HATE the way multiplexes have trained people to enter the cinema after start time to miss the ads we don’t show! We should never have needed automation.

However, we have 9 shows programmed; 8 film, 1 all-digital. That leaves us with 1 spare for those odd shows such as Ratatouille where you have a flat trailer, scope trailer, 1.85 anamorphic short and 2.4 Scope feature – it copes with all the lens and masking changes.

I write down all the details of every event so that I can change them if needed for an odd program, then restore them after that show has left.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2008 07:04 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple, but effective.

[ 02-26-2008, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: Peter David Bruce ]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-04-2008 11:11 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, I WANT ONE OF THOSE SHIRTS!

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2008 06:51 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you want it? go get it! go to cafepress.com then search for projection. youll find it. im gonna get a jumper with it on [Smile]

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 02:39 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter David Bruce
you want it? go get it! go to cafepress.com then search for projection.
Here is a direct link to the page that have them listed on Cafe Press.

Eat,Sleep, Projection Shirts

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2008 02:42 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for that ben. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: