Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP200 - Museum Item?

Author Topic: Dolby CP200 - Museum Item?
Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2008 04:31 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard over the last few months several CP200's have be taken out of service both in Cinemas & Preview and replaced with CP650's etc and upgraded for D-Cinema.

It appears that Dolby no longer support with parts & service for any processors older than the CP45 and soon the CP65.

Is it the same World wide or just in Europe?, shame the CP200 is been made reduntant, nothing can match it for flexibility and performance.

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-01-2008 05:33 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP200's are coming out in droves. I believe there were something like 1200 to 1500 made lifetime so there are plenty of parts around to keep a few running. The Cat. No. 141's and the diode matrix cards are the hardest to replace and the 24 way edge connectors used here and there are pretty rare. The later version Cat. 108 cards are all gone as well.

The 4 projector inputs offered with the optional aux rack are unique even today.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-01-2008 09:36 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the 200 is flexible; however since it uses the same cards, it is no more "excellent" than a cp-50 unless much is spent on upgrades.

I was once "caught" with 2 cp-200s in big houses and 10 cp-55s in smaller houses: "Why was the sound not as good in the premiere houses?" This was the prime cause of the 108-c card which helped a lot. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-02-2008 01:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep saying "this is the last CP200 I'm going to put in" and somehow end up putting another one in.

With the CP200, there are those venues that will benefit from such a processor as it is uniquely qualified for some applications. For instance, if you are going to run 70mm magnetic...it really handles it best. If you are going beyond 2 projectors, it is the easiest though there was a 4-projector mod for the CP65...which is also discontinued. If you will have 5-screen channels, the CP200 again will be a good choice.

None of my CP200 theatres are what I would term as "basic." Generally there are tons of formats programmed into the CP200 and they all have 70mm machines connected to them.

There are things to keep in mind with this processor...it is OLD...it went out of production in 1993 or 1994 (the last new one we took deliverly on was in 1993...by then the "hockey-stick" switches had be changed to tumbwheel style). All of the capacitors in even the most recent unit are now going to be over 15-years old. If you have one of the first batches in 1980, then it is over a 1/4-century old! You have electromechanical things (relays, rotary switches) that can fail or go noisey on you in addition to watching out for aging electrolytics.

That said, if one is careful it can be a very viable processor today if one keeps it current. The Cat 108C, 150E/F, Cat 560, Cat 517s are all a must in my book. Cat 64Bs are also up there though if using non-suffixed Cat 64s, change the input/output pots or repace them with a wire and fixed resistor...somewhere I have what value (it isn't the same as what is used in a 64B as the circuit is a little different).

On the PS1(b), nix the "stone henge" bridge rectifier for the +/- 14V rail and replace it with a square one (6A or better)...Dolby did this on latter units too. All of the main capacitors in the the PS1 should be changed. Use suitably sized replacements and SOLDER THEM IN (use PCB mount caps)...I can't tell you how many PS1s I've had with loose capacitor screws!

Alternatively, you could always use off-the-shelf power supplies of suitable current ratings. The connector for the power is by AMP and is part of their "MR" series. The advantage here being that the PS1 is not regulated...a modern supply can be...this will keep the +/- 15V rail from sagging which should improve its noise specs.

The other thing to watch out for on a CP200 (and older units) is it is totally unbalanced...any poor planning and you will get hums in the system.

As for DCinema and the CP200...no big thing...obtain a Dolby DMA8 Plus or Ultra's ECI and you are done. And Unlike the CP650's method of dealing with DCinema, the stand alone adapters will allow multiple sources of digital audio and in the case of the DMA8 (plus) Dolby-E.

The CP200 remains the most flexible and well thought out processor I've ever seen for this industry. Audio wise, it is no slouch either. However, it brings with it enough overhead now that you should have a specific need for its features before consider installing one. If you have one, if it has been kept up, odds are, it will cost notably more to replace it than to merely obtain the necessary outboard device to adapt it to a new format.

Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-02-2008 10:29 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve.

Well Put!

Bill Ryan
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2008 07:32 PM      Profile for Bill Ryan   Email Bill Ryan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely Steve I love my 200,s

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: