Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Has anyone seen a 70mm blow-up print of "E.T. THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Has anyone seen a 70mm blow-up print of "E.T. THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL"?
Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2008 08:35 PM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen a 70m blow-up screening of "E.T." in any capacity?

How is(was) the quality on these 70mm prints in terms of image and sound?

Should it be a big improvement to screen a 70mm LPP over a mint 35mm print of the 20th aniv. edition?

I am curious to hear your comments.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-05-2008 08:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 70mm prints looked good and the sound was good
we had it in Toronto in 70mm

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-05-2008 09:15 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in 70mm at at least 3 different theaters: Edwards Town Center 4 in Costa Mesa (in #1); the Edwards Big Newport; and the UA Twin in Westminster CA (a horrible theater). It looked and sounded great at the Edwards'; not so much at the UA but not due to being a bad print I'm sure.

Having said that I also saw a few minutes of the 35mm 20th Anniversary release and it looked and sounded amazingly good to me. Unless you have an 80 foot screen or something, the newer 35mm print shouldn't be a disappointment at all.

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2008 09:43 PM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just ran the 35mm 20th aniversiry print a few moths back and it did look and sound great.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2008 09:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It did receive a Best Sound Oscar... thanks to the late Buzz Knudson and crew!!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-05-2008 11:39 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ET played in 70mm in House #1 at the Waikiki Twins here in Honolulu and the presentation was wonderful. Although it was blown up to the large film format, the movie was a flat presentation and not scope. The 30th anniversary showing in 35mm was also at the twins and I think the sound was better because the sound mix featured a split surround compared to the 70mm mono surround.

-Claude

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-05-2008 11:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran ET in 70mm at the K-B Cinema in 1982 (split time between the MacArthur and the Cinema that summer)...I also ran ET at the Uptown on the anniversary showings in 35mm. Without a doubt, the 70mm picture was better. As for sound...that is tough...I have a preference for mag sound but no real problem with digital. I might give the edge to the 70mm print...but that might be just memory playing tricks, younger ears hearing the mag version...who knows.

Steve

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2008 12:39 AM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I've not seen a 70mm print projected that I can recall (the Tyson's Corner 4 is long ago defunct), I know that the SP prints of this have faded to red. I heard claim that there were LPP 70mm prints of the title, but have not seen any proof of that.

For a booking now, your best bet is probably going to be the 35mm Anniversary print - even with it's politically correct tweakings.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-06-2008 03:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw "E.T" at the Crossroads Cinemas in SLC in 70mm that summer of 1982...nice seeing this film in 70mm, but the house really wasn't cut out for these large film format showings .. 250 seat house, sloped floor, sound wasn't the best. Light was okey, but could be better if was using carbons.

Presentation of a flat movie formatted to 1.85:1 for large film release wasn't the best to be seen due to a very small screensize (typical screen size for those days and a decent sized house..

Now, would have been great to see this movie like a large house that was definitely setup for 70mm since they had the large screens, since there were many down in SLC at that time ...

Crossroads was a "Plitt" house ..

-Monte

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-06-2008 08:48 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ran 'E.T.' in 87 in 70mm and it looked superb (for a blow-up) and sounded great.

The print we ran had a couple of splices at the heads/tails so those frames were removed...I still have them and the colour is just fine with no fading.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2008 05:12 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the image quality of the blow-ups, keep in mind that there may have been two grades of 70mm prints for "E.T." The film's cinematographer, Allen Daviau, ASC, informed me a few years ago when I was pestering him for some info that he believes they struck a few 70mm "show prints" off the original negative, with the balance of the print run (more than 30) utilizing the commonly-used procedure (i.e. 35mm O-Neg --> 35mm Inter-Positive --> 65mm Inter-Negative --> 70mm Release Print).

I imagine those "show prints" probably were what was booked at the CINERAMA DOME in L.A. and one or two of the New York venues and perhaps a couple other key bookings. I saw the movie numerous times in 35mm during '82; I saw the movie in 70mm for the first time during its summer 1985 re-release at the MANN PLAZA in L.A. Fantastic presentation...the music sounded sooooo good!

If new prints were struck for that '85 re-issue, then, presumably, they would have been LPP. But I suspect the few 70s booked in '85 were leftover from '82, perhaps even mixed and matched from different sets, and may have pre-dated the use of LPP stock.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-06-2008 10:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1982 was the crossover year for the low-fade prints so ET could certainly have been low-fade. I know that Star Trek II, also a summer 1982 release was not as I have seen a reel of that around 1995 or so and it had definately shifted towards magenta.

The print at the K-B Cinema looked pretty darn fantastic, as did most of the K-B Cinema's 70mm shows. The sound was always decent there too...though never my favorite...particularly the surrounds were lacking in bottom end.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-07-2008 12:25 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have seen over the years, the 35mm mono prints were Eastman and the Dolby stereo prints were LPP. That could've just been a coincidence upon the various original 1982 prints that I ran though.

I have never seen or handled a 70mm print of this title.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2008 02:38 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a 35mm mono print in 1983 of which I have a few frames. Its on eastman stock and all magenta by now.

C.

Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2008 06:42 AM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We booked "E.T." for a Sunday matinee in the late 1990:s just before prints where withdrawn for the upcoming 20th aniv. restoration. I looked forward to see my old favorite film in Dolby as I did when I was 10 years old when it opened in 1982.

I was disappointed when we got a FUJI HP print with visible fading and MONO sound...

On top of that, the print smelled like a chemistry factory due to treatment and deterioration.

I have found some older Dolby 04 soundtracks can sound real nice and vivid. "HALLOWEEN II"-1981 comes mind which was another Universal release from the same period as "E.T."

I got the impression that older Dolby prints from the time when there was a dual inventory of Mono and Dolby where processed with greater care and quality to showcase the soundtrack possibly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: