Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Cat. 67 Extender (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby Cat. 67 Extender
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2008 02:06 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any company that makes an after-market version of the Dolby Cat. 67 Extender?

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-13-2008 02:21 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VARI in Mexico made something very similar. I will get in touch with them and ask if they still have some.

I made a very compact extender many years ago but at this late date I'm not doing it again.

I added a switch to my version to bypass the EQ so you can see what the b-chain looks likes with no EQ so you don't need to zero out the pots to see the pre-EQ response before deciding whether it needs to be redone.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-13-2008 06:14 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and to add to this topic: any 3rd party making the 85C pink noise generators to along with the CAT-67 extenders since there is a lot of us that have the older Dolby C55/65 units still in service?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-13-2008 06:39 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me interested too for cat 67.

Just bought a cat 85, I need an extender now that I'm going to buy by myself if I can't find anything on the market.

Ciao
Marco

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2008 06:48 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Component Engineering's SG-1 signal generator is compatible with the Cat. 85.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-13-2008 06:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THX Ken, for that CE info - Monte

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2008 11:47 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was fairly surprised that Dolby discontinued this item. There seems to be more than enough processors such as the CP65 and other earlier models that can use it still in service. I'm even more surprised that no one is making a readily available after-market version. I did pick up an SG-1 on ebay a couple of years ago, but still haven't run across an extender. Oh well, maybe Sam will have some good news for us or maybe we can talk him into making his version again. [Wink]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-14-2008 07:01 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
I added a switch to my version to bypass the EQ so you can see what the b-chain looks likes with no EQ so you don't need to zero out the pots to see the pre-EQ response before deciding whether it needs to be redone.
Wow...I love the idea of the bypass switch. If these ever go back into production, I'll buy one just for that (I already have the Dolby version).

For those who have the SG-1, is it significantly more useful than the cat. 85?

Related question: is there a Dolby-approved (or aftermarket) EQ bypass card? Or some other way to bypass the cat. 64s without having to modify the backplane? I would think that it would be useful in houses where the installed sound system already offers extensive EQ control or installations where parametric EQ would be preferred over third-octave. I'm specifically interested in doing this with the CP65, but if there are ways of doing this on the CP50/55/100/200, that would be interesting to know, too.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2008 08:16 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you looking for your alternate EQ to be permanent or just for a special screening, etc? If permanent, just set all the dials in the Cat 85 cards to 12 o'clock for no EQ.

The SG-1 has a tone generator, whose frequency is controlled via a dial. Useful for finding problems that occur a specific frequencies.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2008 09:39 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did my own card extention, a long time ago before I got my cat67 and it worked:
 -
 -

It would have been much better if I made it the size of a dolby card, but that was the plate closer to the original I found on hand.

Scott, If you are into it, just make 3 card plugs and jumpering only pins F (in) and N (out).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-14-2008 09:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, there was the Cat 105 you could search for...it was the Cat 64 Bypass card (CP100 days). This is NOT to be confused with the Cat 105D that was used for bass-enhancement on the CP100.

There is actually a level shift that occurs in the Cat 64. They are fed at 170mV but feed the rest of the chain at 150mV. This only amounts to just over 1dB of change though.

Steve

Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2008 12:05 PM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Scott
It's quite eqsy to bypass the 64s on a CP55 without Backplanesoldering.
Get a Male DB25 connector and solder
6-19 R
7-20 C
8-21 L
together, plug it into the Tesctconnector J18 and remove the 64s.
Pin 23, 24 and 25 are EQ-inhibit but I don't really know how they work.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-28-2010 01:30 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 895 days since the last post.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2010 01:30 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. It's been over 2 years and I haven't seen one of these come up on eBay or else where nor did I get any replies to the request in the equipment wanted forum. So, is there any body out there making after market version yet?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-28-2010 01:50 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A small hint: I have not used an extender in over 25 years. EQ the center channel first with the other 2 boards removed. There is enough room, barely, for your hand. Set the other two boards the same and verify in the center position. Install all 3 identical boards and then verify proper eq. You have already complete the center channel. The others you may have slight touch ups, but usually not. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: