Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lense cleaning... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lense cleaning...
Ron Davis
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2008 07:14 PM      Profile for Ron Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All: I have dust/dirt/debris on my projector lenses. I imagine these are pretty expensive so I want to be SURE I'm cleaning them right before I damange them. I have some 'lense cleaning tissue', but wasnt sure if they were supposed to be used by themselves or if I needed some kind of cleaning soloution as well?

I know this sounds like a basic question, but I figure 'better safe than sorry' ...

Thanks!

-Ron

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-30-2008 07:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when cleaning an optical surface I usually recomend the following
1 brush the lens with a camel hair brush to remove the dust ( if a camel hair brush is unavailable use a folded piece of lens tissue to make a puff type brush
then moisten a tissue with a lens cleaning solution suitable for the lens in question and in a circular motion wipe it clean

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-30-2008 08:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, don't clean lenses more than necessary. Daily cleaning is not needed. Too-frequent cleaning can damage the lens surface.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-30-2008 11:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
daily proper cleaning with an air, or camel hair brush will not damage a lens

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-31-2008 10:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was referring to rubbing the surface with a cloth. Some people think a lens is the same as a window.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-31-2008 10:28 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess sandpaper is out of the question then, eh? [Razz]

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2008 01:44 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank--

Use a JACK HAMMER... that'll get ALL that crap outta the barrel! [thumbsup]

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2008 02:31 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The good part about using Sandpaper is never having to question any
cleaning method after that:)

Charles Caron
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2008 09:01 PM      Profile for Charles Caron   Email Charles Caron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 50-50 mix of hydroflouric acid and uranium hexaflouride would work well....Once....Make sure to wear your gloves and goggles!!!

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2008 11:36 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the lens are way too small for a jack hammer.
That is what the SOS pads are for. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-02-2008 10:15 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A 50-50 mix of hydroflouric acid and uranium hexaflouride would work well....Once....Make sure to wear your gloves and goggles!!!

Be sure to ONLY use this method if you are shielded behind 6" leaded glass with remote manipulator arms... HEX is pretty nasty stuff [puke] !! Also, it might discolor the Anodize of the alumnium barrell... just thought you guys should know...... [thumbsup]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-04-2008 08:23 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But seriously....I've noticed over the years that "dust" seems to change its composition from place to place and from one period in time to another. Years ago in Texas, in a small town with very little pollution, dust was this very light, gossamer kind of consistency; it was gray in color. It could be brushed off surfaces easily. When I lived in out on Long Island, practically farm country at the time, dust was of that makeup -- you could use the camel hair brush to easily brush it off lenses. Over the years, however in New York City, I've noted that dust has become something very different. It now is black in color and has a heavy consistancy and an oily quality to it. It won't just "dust" off surfaces lightly, but will smear and leave a black, sooty trail that needs a solvent to remove it.

I am sure this has to do with the pollution in the air in various parts of the country and I am sure it has changed over the years whereas in some parts of the country and even areas within cities, dusting with a lens brush will not do the job.

We have an ionizer in the booth that charges the air -- it puts negative ions into the air. It reduces static electricity and forces dust particulate to get charged and then the particles are pulled like a magnet to oppositely charged (grounded) surfaces. As little as 10-15 years ago when it was first put into the booth, you used to be able to just wipe the area around the ionizer off with a wet cloth. Now if you wipe that area around the unit, you just get a black smear on the wall that won't be removed by water or even by a household cleaner like Fantastic; you have to use a solvent. Quite the nasty stuff. I am glad the ionizer deposits it on the wall, however little of the overall amount in the air does get caught is that much less of that stuff in my lungs. It dramatically shows what garbage we constantly breath in.

One of these days I want to collect a sample of this goo and have it analyzed for chemical content. The findings may be interesting....if not scary.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2008 08:27 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For large particles on the lens, lens hammers of rubber are quite effective too - [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-04-2008 09:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More than likely the dust contains some remnants of 9/11... [Eek!]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-04-2008 10:55 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are interested in contemplating dust, here's an informative pop-science book to get you started:

The Secret Life of Dust: From the Cosmos to the Kitchen Counter, the Big Consequences of Little Things by Hannah Holmes

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: