Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Studio Movie Grill Pictures (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New Studio Movie Grill Pictures
Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2008 02:07 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Brad, Wow! That looks like a phenominal job there. I love the platter array, I think that is the greatest thing I have ever seen. It looks like you guys did a really great job there! The only thing I do not like so much is the sound racks attatched to the back of the consoles, but thats not a huge deal. Also, maybe I am blind but I did not see media cleaners for the Film-Guard, I know I must have just missed them? This theatre and booth look awesome, I would love to have the chance to operate a platter array someday. I am sure that this will be a booth where film will be done right! Keep up the good work!

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2008 02:45 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree, I love the layout, and it looks like an awesome theatre.

quote: Sean McKinnon
Also, maybe I am blind but I did not see media cleaners for the Film-Guard
If you look at all the pictures that have a platter in them, you can see the bracket for the cleaners.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2008 07:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Dieter
platter in them, you can see the bracket for the cleaners.

....What I love about the AW3r units having that available bracket mount on the tower - which you can't really do on any other make of platter units.

Plus with the film tension right there, you know that the prints will be wiped completely with FG.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-07-2008 08:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Nice job on the booth!!! Do the P-35's have the new round tooth plastic pulleys in them???

Mark

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great looking diner theater! Very nice and the booth is very, very nice! I'm oh so jealous !!!

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-07-2008 08:25 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very well done!

I'm surprised by the use of the piggy-back style racks on the SLC consoles. Was this because of space considerations, or was there another reason?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2008 09:14 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I've posted this pict before)

-

At EDWARDS, the choice of the piggyback rack (being a Christie option that I do believe was instigated by the EDW's engineering department) was for tech and user simplicity-having all the controls and components needed in a basic all-in-one area. Also, it's simple logistic to have your input runs as short as possible to the processor.

Plus, it made the wiring from reader to rack and wiring from console to speakers a lot easier to run.

As you notice in the pict, the speaker wiring conduits are coming from the top of the rack over to the "J" box on the wall behind the machine mounted on the wall (which hidden in view), thus only the one high voltage line is the only conduit entering in the front of the toe kick of the console. This arrangement makes for a very clean looking booth.

What I noticed in these picts is of the three conduits coming out of the toe kick in Brad's installation (which I also do congrats on a superior install! [thumbsup] ), but wondering - is the low voltage for speaker output going in the same gutter as the high voltage coming into the console, or is there a special arrangement in that gutter to separate the two voltages?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-07-2008 10:25 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I had a booth full of them back when I was at Edwards. The reason I'm surprised at there use is because it makes it difficult to get at the rear lamphouse assembly if you have to service it. Additionally, it creates a loud buzz in the auditorium as the lamp is struck. I don't see a stack of amps in the rack, so that may not be a problem here.

That picture makes me homesick for my first booth. :-)
(Rancho San Diego 15)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-07-2008 11:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte...you didn't look close enough...what speaker outputs (that are not low-voltage anyway). It appears that Brad is using Cobranet to send the signals down to amps mounted behind the screen (QSC Basis systems run on Cobranet).

Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-07-2008 11:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice booth, but nowhere near as cool as the last one. What happened to the Kinotons? I also am not too fond of sound equipment attached to the lamphouse. It looks pregnant or infected, but oh well... somehow I will survive.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2008 11:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx Steve for that info. Being stuck around with 25 yr old equipment and no improvements or modifications in sight, really puts me back a generation there.

Yea, Mike - I forgot about that with the bulb assembly thing. At one EDW's I worked at, we did have to change out the rear bulb mechanism that had a piggyback rack attached. Luckilly, it wasn't that all too difficult since the bulk of the replacement was on the front, but still needed that extra hand going through the rack for aid. Also, we didn't have (and I'm sure you didn't have at the 15plex) auto focus controls for the bulb.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-07-2008 11:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the comments. There are enough cleaners, plus a spare, for every auditorium. We mount them to the platters. They can't all be seen as prints were moving around and the most obvious platters were only taking up film.

Mark, I think these were the final projectors manufactured with the old school belts. Regardless they perform excellent and when belt changing time comes I will install the kits.

The piggy-back racks were decided upon due to convenience in wiring and servicing. At other locations (such as SMG Arlington) I had a wireway installed under the slab to pull wires between the console and the rack. This install was supposed to have two gutters on the wall, but the blueprints got screwed up, so we had to go for routing power lines through one piece of dedicated sealtite and briefly share the wireway (which I was not too thrilled about). It didn't affect anything in the end except there is some light noise in the BluRay player's video signal (which we will fix), as the sound system is QSC Basis and the audio is transferred digitally over ethernet cables to the racks behind the screen. The sound systems are dead silent with no discernable noise, and no the lamps cannot be heard in the auditoriums when they strike.

This was also Dan Lyons' first multiplex install to be a part of. [thumbsup]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-08-2008 06:54 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with the others--it looks like a very nice installation. I don't persomally like the huge port windows, but they are probably necessary in that type of venue for special shows, events, etc.

Is the use of cobranet done just to simplify wiring and installation, or does it offer some other benefit over running regular balanced lines to the amps?

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 06:57 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What brand of monitors did you use and where did you get them? I rarely see this kind of rackmount monitor. Most are pull out and flip down type for server racks.

Is that Calink software for the CA21's that is running on the monitors?

[ 02-08-2008, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Joshua Waaland ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-08-2008 10:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised you didn't get the new pulleys on them... At least its a very inexpensive upgrade to do when needed. It does lower flutter drastically which will also greatly improve the operation of the SRD basement reader.

We've looked at doing the Basis/Cobranet for several customers and it really jacks up the price of the system/plex. You need the expensive box at both ends... At this point in time D-Cinema is a much higher priority in the minds of most of those customers. The cost of twisted copper speaker runs in conduit is still actually quite a bit less expensive than just one of the Basis Boxes. I do like the whole Basis idea though, its very sound and very reliable. It also allows you to lock up the amps back stage... a very important plus in places like Detroit and Chicago!

Joshua, Dell and others make those type of flip out monitors... very common item in the IT world. Again... very expensive to implement. Used ones are available on E-bay are still in the $500.00 range.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: