Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technical Film Systems 35mm FIlm Cleaning Machine (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Technical Film Systems 35mm FIlm Cleaning Machine
Steve Beverly
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2008 11:20 PM      Profile for Steve Beverly   Email Steve Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a Technical Film Systems 35mm Model FC-4000 Film Cleaning Machine last month. I wanted to get some information on this beast. I know from the description, it uses distilled water to clean the film is from the 1990s and originally cost over 50K. I also know Technical Film Systems doesn't make them anymore (or any other film cleaning machine of any kind) and hasn't supported them for the last 7 years. I bought this because we have a REAL problem with dust here in El Paso, which is the desert winds blow dust EVERYWHERE so I needed a machine that would thoroughly clean film. Has anyone ever used one of these things before any any chance in Hell there's a manual available for one somewhere out there? Thanks-Steve [Cool]

-

-

-

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2008 11:48 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive the ignorance, but I truly do not understand. Wouldn't distilled water dissolve the emulsion? And why would anyone pay $50,000 for a film cleaner when they can buy a Kelmar cleaner for around $500?

A Kelmar cleaner paired with Film-Guard will solve your dust problem.

Steve Beverly
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2008 12:20 AM      Profile for Steve Beverly   Email Steve Beverly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
why would anyone pay $50,000 for a film cleaner when they can buy a Kelmar cleaner for around $500?
I don't know, maybe that's why they quit making them. I didn't pay 50 grand, but I seriously doubt that a 50 grand film cleaning machine would dissolve film emulsion, I think the R&D department of Technical Film Systems woulda caught THAT ONE before they started selling them for 50 grand, HOWEVER if it did, I would expect there'd be some sort of price discount on 'em. [Big Grin]

I was planning to use a Kelmar, or something equivalent, in addition to this as well. You REALLY don't understand the dust problem we have here. [Eek!]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-10-2008 01:54 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you buy the thing BEFORE asking about it? Heck, I seem to remember you doing this with your projector setup... having people give you pointers causing you to back pedal and change it after you'd already done the order. Not trying to be mean but just asking.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-10-2008 02:59 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surprise! Film has changed. Positive prints, intermediates, and soundtrack negative are now on polyester stock, which doesn't like water.

Max Biela
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2008 03:56 AM      Profile for Max Biela   Email Max Biela   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it is the emulsion that doesn't like water, not the base

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-10-2008 05:32 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Water doesn't harm film, as long as it's carefully handled while wet, and fully dried before being wound up. There's plenty of water used in processing the stuff.

Max Biela
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2008 05:50 AM      Profile for Max Biela   Email Max Biela   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, my point was that water doesn't do anything to the base (acetat, polyester or whatever, it just plastic) while the emulsion is getting soft.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-10-2008 07:30 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I find Tim's response rather puzzling; if anything, polyester should have even less of a problem with water than other bases; water, in the form of high humidity over a long period, can affect bases made of nitrate and the acetates, but as far as I'm aware, not polyester. The only possible problem that I can think of which could be worse with polyester is that the emulsion is less securely bound to the base, and therefore more likely to be removed while wet and soft. However, polyester film survives processing. I'm not that familiar with the motion picture processes, but other than sound track re-development and backing removal, where these are used, I think that they're quite similar to the processes used for still film. Since C41 replaced C22, sometime in the '70s, colour film has been processed at high temperatures, around 38C (100F), and even water at these temperatures does not harm the film. I don't know how this cleaner works; does it use physical treatment of the film, wiping, brushing etc. while it is wet, or is it ultrasonic?

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2008 08:26 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Steve,

Well, I think you have a real piece of history there. As I recall, our school system had one of these machines for cleaning their 16mm collection. The machine was very reliable but you had to be sure not to let it become unlaced or it took almost as long to reload as it did to clean the film.

The solvent is in contact with the film for only a matter of seconds in the lower chamber of the cleaner cabinet. After applying the solvent, there is another area with compressed air "knives" that remove the liquid and particles loosened from the film. This is much like the way the car wash removes most of the water from you car. The film is then run into the second chamber where there is a giant accumulator. The film is payed out between the two rows of rollers and the lower set of rollers can move to accommodate the length of film needed to fill the cabinet. Once the accumulator is full, the take-up begins and warm dry and filtered air is used to remove all of the remaining moisture from the film.

Sorry but the media center disposed of their machine many years ago so I don't have any more to offer in the way of specifics.

KEN

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2008 10:01 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if you could use Film-Guard in this machine instead of distilled water... It kind of seems like way way way too much overkill for a cinema but to each thier own

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-10-2008 10:08 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cleaner was originally meant for cleaning negatives before printing. It should:

Clean the film with water jets, dry the film, and wind it back onto the core ready to go onto the printer. Since it uses Air KNives similar to what is used in a processing machine it shouldn't be any more dangerous to clean film in this than it is to run exposed stock through a processsing machine. Its hard to believe though that it would use water and not some sort of solvent. The RTI cleaners at the School District I worked at used some solvent that made you higher than a kite... Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......

Mark

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-10-2008 10:18 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I visited the National Film and Television Archive, sometime in the '90s, they had recently had to replace their film cleaning equipment, due to the solvent which the older machines being either banned or no longer available. The new machines still used an organic solvent, but a different one. It is quite likely that a water based cleaning system may have been introduced in the '90s for environmental reasons.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-10-2008 12:13 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was echoing Ken's comment. Water or oil on polyester stock will cause the emulsion to stick like glue, while acetate shrugged these things off fairly well. Whether or not it's the emulsion that doesn't adhere as well to polyester as it did to acetate, the difference still is in the fact that it is polyester stock.

I don't know that labs apply water to the stock for (ultrasonic) cleaning, but rather a chemical.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2008 09:53 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Mark remembers the old 16mm formula of 50% PERC and 50% Xecoat. That could give you a massive headache in no time at all. That is why the solvent chambers were sealed while operating.

Cleaning projection films has the extra need to remove oil as well as dust and other particles. Water doesn't do that too well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: