Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Altec A-1's

Author Topic: Altec A-1's
Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 10:10 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Altec A-4 was pretty common in medium to large theatres in the pre Dolby days. The A-2 less so. Does any one know of any installations of A-1's? I've never even seen one.
Bob

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 12:02 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Bob,

I have had good luck in finding information on "classic" Altec products here.

http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet.net/

We have an A2 at the Temple here in Saginaw.

KEN

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 12:51 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an A1 speaker system on service in the Fox California in Stockton in the fifties. Huge! 6 515 lf and 4 288 hf drivers. The booth had a Simplex C 60 sound system[piece of junk]and if memory serves me an Altec 287 power amp. I think the thing used only the single N500 crossover.The theater was large,over 2000 seats and had two balconies, very tough house to cover.Havent been in it for years but it has been redone as a performing arts center with the city and Alex Spanos[owner of the San Diego Chargers]the forces behind the restoration.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-11-2008 02:10 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had an A-0 (8 lf and 4 drivers) at the former United Artists Theatre in Louisville. Amp was a 22 watt Kelmar which was plenty. Theatre had once been a road show house with 6 track. Later just 35mm mono. "The rest" was moved to UA HQ in NYC.

Also has AAII in "The Penthouse" Assemblies removed and cases thrown out the window.....6 floors. Made a 36" hole in the alley below. Louis

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 04:10 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,
Was the A-0 an official Altec designation or was it two A-2's combined?
Bob

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-11-2008 08:47 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not official.....Joe Kelly! Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: