Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Interlocking with delay (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Interlocking with delay
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 01:06 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably a stupid idea, but I just wanted to ask anyway...

If you want to run the same movie in more than one screen but only have one print, you interlock - as demonstrated in the Interlocking 101 video. What if you wanted to 'stagger' the start times? For example, you might have one screen starting at 12:00 and another at 12:30. Is there any way of storing up the film temporarily to delay it before it gets to the second projector? Perhaps having a single platter doing BOTH take-up and pay-out at the same time?

I suppose you could run the film from one end of the booth to the other and back using interlock rollers (in Interlocking 101, this gave a 20-minute delay between the first and last projectors), but that would be rather inconvenient.

It's probably more convenient to get hold of two prints, but would the cost of getting a second print outweigh the hassle of doing a delayed interlock like this?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-09-2008 02:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, old news to me since I first did it back in 2003 with Pirates of the Caribbean. I don't have pictures of all of the delayed interlock setups sadly. I've done a 10, 15, 20, 30 and a 40 minute setup. The differences all depended on the particular booth it was in and the amount of space they had to fly the film back and forth. Here are a couple of pics of the 15 minute delay. (It's all the room they had.)

-
 -

Here is a shot of the 40 minute setup.

-

Don't even think of attempting this unless you have a CA21 or some other extremely reliable and flexible automation system. The concept is very simple. In reality there is a lot of shit that has to be just right for it to work without damaging film. You want 30 minutes of delay, so think about it...that's 3000 feet of film that has to be flying somewhere.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 03:16 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, That is AWESOME!

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 04:38 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean said it, one of the most incredible film setups I've ever seen - even beats Interlocking 101!

I thought of using a 'tank' of film, basically a box on the floor for the film to fall into and from which you would thread the second projector when it's time. But that's probably a bad idea as well, since the film might get scratched and/or tangled in that box.

I was thinking more along the lines of waiting until there's around 25 minutes worth of film on the takeup platter, removing the ring, threading it through a brain (all while it's still going) and starting the 2nd projector then. Probably wouldn't work in practice, but it's a nice idea anyway [Big Grin]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-09-2008 05:10 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of waiting until there's around 25 minutes worth of film on the takeup platter, removing the ring, threading it through a brain (all while it's still going) and starting the 2nd projector then. Probably wouldn't work in practice, but it's a nice idea anyway [Big Grin]

The problem would be that the film would be paying out at a smaller diameter on the platter than it was taking up, so whatever speed the platter was turning at the film couldn't be paying out and taking up at the same speed. You might possibly get it to work on one of those platters which are normally used to run film in an endless loop, where the film winds in a star shape, so each turn contains same same amount of film, whether it be at the centre, or the outside, but these things have a bad reputation for damaging film.

Just out of interest, can a digital server play the same copy of a film to two projectors each at a different point in the film, at the same time?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-09-2008 05:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, your idea would not work because the platter has to slow down as it runs. You would have a brain wrap almost immediately.

Your idea of letting the film fall into a box would only work if you designed such a box to be about 37mm deep and very wide (and of course, very tall)...picture an ant farm but much bigger. It would also require a sprocket at the top interlocked with your projectors to force the film into the top of the "box", which would lay back and forth on the film below it. Then at the bottom of the box you would have to have a couple of stripper rollers to get the film out from the bottom so it could then travel to the second projector. Of course such a box in reality could probably only hold 5 minutes of film AT BEST. Simply putting accumulator rollers on the ceiling is FAR safer and simpler.

If anyone should decide to put a bunch of rollers up for this purpose, bear in mind you have to use the large 3 inch rollers with bearings, such as is available from Kelmar. The small Strong-type rollers, even though they have bearings, puts too much stress on the film (been there, done that). Also you have to find that magic distance between the rollers to keep the minimum amount of tension on the film or you risk sprocket damage to the print.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 07:06 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
Just out of interest, can a digital server play the same copy of a film to two projectors each at a different point in the film, at the same time?
I don't see why not, after all, that's basically what a PVR is doing when it's in "time slip" mode.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-09-2008 07:37 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas; you are describing a "loop-bin" which works quite well for 2" audio tape but not well for film: scratches. All cassettes and open reel tape were mass-produced this way until the first practical digital memories were available. (That's when cassette audio improved.) Louis

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-09-2008 07:47 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not use a looping cabinet?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2008 08:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
? with these delays, (which I still commend on the magnitude and how such a complex operation can be accomplished-some very serious training there..can you imagine this kind of booth in an operation full of booth clowns?) wouldn't it be simpler just to have multiple print releases of the one movie?

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2008 08:59 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Booth Clowns" Thatīs a definition I like! [Big Grin]

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2008 11:48 AM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey! [Eek!] How long does it take to lace up? I cant imagine trying to single man a 15 plex AND having that to worry about. If a cinema has equipment that can handle a set up like that, I'm sure it can afford a second print of a film [Razz]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-11-2008 12:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It takes about 5 minutes to reset for the next show.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2008 12:32 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst I love doing this sort of thing I can see that it would only be of real benefit for one performance. Therefore not suitable for a multi plex running all day.

You have your 30 min delay whilst the film runs over it's rollers but when the film finished in the first screen it still has to finish in the second screen before you can lace up again. I would imagine that it would take easily 15 min to lace up add that to the 30 min delay you already have and you have a 45 min break of house in each screen before its second show.

Any gain is lost if you run more than one performance in this way.

What happens to all of the film in the loop when the film runs out of the first projector? All of the tension would be lost and the film would drape onto itself causing the last 30 min to scratch itself surely?

Would love to see it in action....

Regards

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-11-2008 03:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked with looping cabinets several times over the years and they can work well if installed correctly or be your biggest nightmare. One at the Chicago Museum Of Science And Industry had such bad static problems with so many layers of film clinging to itself that you couldn't even pull the film through by hand... Also you'd need a humongus loop cabinet for a 40 minute delay... I think the way Brad has done it is the better choice.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: