Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » horz scratches (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: horz scratches
Joseph Matteo
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2007 04:25 PM      Profile for Joseph Matteo   Email Joseph Matteo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is a continuation of a current discussion that started here.

Adam,sorry but it doesn't work that way i cant tell managment who to put in the booth 18 year old booth people really don't care and if so they don't stay that long.the problem is with the roller.Gerard,sorry this is a emulsion scratch i know what is causing it i need to find a way to correct it.when i did show the christie boys what was happening he looked at it and scratched his head in disbelief.Adam the keeper can be problamatic on this issue
i am u/l some pics of the scratching in progress and how it is a roller issue.also the christie tec had to go to Florida for the same kind of complaint they are having.the platter will run just fine with this roller in this position you will note that the film is now riding on the edge of the roller thus causing a horz scratch on the emulsion side of the film.and it will show up on the next presentation of this film.also note how high up the film retainer is this allows the film to over shoot the inside of the roller and end up were it shouldn't be.
 -

[ 01-03-2007, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-02-2007 04:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is not a design flaw but operator incompetance

Joseph Matteo
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2007 05:09 PM      Profile for Joseph Matteo   Email Joseph Matteo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
gordon correct operator incompetance my be but the roller clearly is the problem
but that doesn't help me here.i need to make it dummy proof and i will.i am retraining booth people to thread old school so the very last thing they do is put the film on the roller and and set the take up.part of the problem is the way the booth people thread.they pull tension after threading and not actually going to the take up arm and just start the show and i do think it is at this point that the roller some how twists and the film gets in the wrong position.
i also re worked some of the rollers so that it hugs the keeper and it seems to do the trick film doesn't over extend now i will keep you film tech updated on this issue

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-02-2007 05:27 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the picture. It looks to me like there is a small roll pin that keeps the roller from automatically adjusting to straight.

Remove this by gripping with a side cutter and leveraging it out; then reassemble. If not........then....

The top of the turquois plastic could be cut off with a hack saw to allow the roller to fully swivel. They used the wrong part to build your platters. Louis

Darren Powell
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2007 06:58 PM      Profile for Darren Powell   Email Darren Powell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
get a different make platter [Cool] lol

and that rubbish about
Quote - 'i cant tell managment who to put in the booth 18 year old booth people really don't care and if so they don't stay that long'
That is so sad for all the 18Yr old projectionists who do work hard.
I started projection wen i was 17, am now 20 and supervising the running of a 4 screen booth.
i also work with 70mm film on a theme park ride..
i love my job and always want to learn more !

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-02-2007 07:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a point of clarification does the roller rotate on the pivot far enough to allow the film to lie flat?

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2007 07:07 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dejavu, the feeling you've seen this topic before. This is like the 3rd topic started by the same guy about the same problem. Why can't you just reply in the original topic? Why start a new one? See "What would cause these scratches?", "horizontal cratches", and then this one. Well, he didn't start the first one, but he could have continues there. I think he first asked about it there.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-03-2007 12:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem with that situation above is that someone has OVERTIGHTENED the bolt that runs through the arm into the top of the roller's keeper bracket too tight! Get a pair of vice grip pliers, clamp onto the top of the bolt and loosen it just a little bit so that it isn't so ridiculously tight.

Whoever installed those platters or has been tinkering with them in the problem. Do that and your scratching will go away.

Even more important do not create a new thread for an existing discussion! [Mad]

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2007 09:04 AM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This actually happened to me the other day for the first time. Good thing I always check the platter rollers or print #1 ( [Big Grin] ) of Pursuit of happyness would have been toast! Is this a common way prints get scratched on Christie platters? At the booth I'm at we recently lost a bunch of good people in the booth and now some 7 of 18 prints are scratched. I'm trying to figure out where they are all coming from. It’s hard when no one else cares. [Frown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-03-2007 03:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't see how a rotating roller is making horizontal scratches. If anything they would be diagonal, and pretty sharply diagonal at that. Maybe Joseph, you could post a picture of scratched film.

But -- saying this problem is Christie's fault is like saying that it's Brad's fault that Joseph keeps starting new discussions on the same subject because the Reply button is right next to the New Topic button.

Gilles Elbhar
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2007 05:44 PM      Profile for Gilles Elbhar   Author's Homepage   Email Gilles Elbhar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Horizontal scratch can not coming from a rotating roller.
- Scratch from a roller are "linear"

Horizontal scratch can coming from regular contact between film and projectors parts...

[evil] Something is defective with print loading.
[evil]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-03-2007 05:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote "Horizontal scratch can not coming from a rotating roller."
sorry but that isn't true
when sitting on the flange it will give a horizontal scratch usually with a curve

Gilles Elbhar
Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2007 05:15 PM      Profile for Gilles Elbhar   Author's Homepage   Email Gilles Elbhar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is right !

But Analysis was on - Horizontal scratch - only.
Not with a curve.

Joseph Matteo
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2007 04:51 PM      Profile for Joseph Matteo   Email Joseph Matteo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry about the new posts,the roller is in fact causing the horizontal scratches i sent a pic of the roller it is cocked and the film is riding on the roller emulsion side it is making contact with the almost center of the film causing the hz scratching.i am putting in a booth monitor in for a month and i am re calibrating some of the take up rollers so the retainer is closer to the film so about .045 i think it will help alot.I would like to also say that although christie is not to blame totally but it is apparent to them this roller is a problem and is in my opinion it is the wrong roller for this take up arm,i have never seen this many prints scratched i have been training for my union and other theaters on aw3 platters never had this problem before.i do think it is happing alot but not reported.

Alex, this is exacly how the hrz scratches are being created hard for any one to see but i assure you that new people in the booth will indeed make this mistake of not looking at this roller after they start a show.  -

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-05-2007 07:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph, what did I just tell you in my post above?

If you cannot pay attention, I hope you leave the booth very quickly because you will never be a good projectionist if you can not resolve this incredibly simple problem that has NOTHING to blame toward Christie.

Also by using the Bevan Poos with a platter ring, you are setting yourself up for a tangled mess whenever a print slides and the platter ring tries to do it's job. Read the instructions.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: