Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Aperture plate

Author Topic: Aperture plate
Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2008 07:31 PM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much should i pay for an aperture plate ?

I have 3 x Pro35 Projectors.

|  IP: Logged

Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 12:25 PM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ?

Just an estimate.. plz

It's just that i think that some people are trying to take advantage of my boss and the theater that i work at and i don't like that.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-01-2008 12:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about anyone else here...but I'm nowhere near my price sheets and I doubt anyone else is. As for end users...you would need to find someone that has bought an aperture plate recently for the Pro-35.

One thing that Strong has been doing is to systematically jack up the prices on their spare parts, if not obsolete them. As such, last year's price has no bearing on this year's price and absolutely no bearing on 5-year ago prices.

Conversely, a plate like for a Century are available from three sources and that tends to keep the price down. Strong is the only one that paints their Century plates black, the other two leave them "natural". Those are cheap (under $10.00).

I believe Kinoton's aperture plates will work in a Ballantyne (at least the single plates) but you won't want to look at those prices...they are fancy...they have a handle rivoted on, are chromed and then have the OD of the format etched/engraved onto them.

Sorry I can't help you today with your question.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-01-2008 04:03 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get the list price online from Strong International. Most dealers discount some. If you are paying list or more, you really have a problem. Louis

Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 04:17 PM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about 175$ for a Kinoton 1:1.85 Apreture plate ?

I knew it was unreal.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 04:32 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I believe Kinoton's aperture plates will work in a Ballantyne (at least the single plates) but you won't want to look at those prices
Considering what Steve said that is probably not an unreasonable price for a Kinoton plate.

Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 05:26 PM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean McKinnon
Considering what Steve said that is probably not an unreasonable price for a Kinoton plate.
I check online for the same Kinoton Aperture plate that we have and it's only worth 36$ (18 UK Pound)

So 175$ is a bit much. [Mad]

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-01-2008 06:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out on the Kinoton Plates.

For a 1.85 (and others)...there are several types and they all have similar part numbers. However, they have precut 1.85s that are going to be the most expensive but not as high as $175. The FP75E (I'm not sure they have a 1.85 specific plate like they do for the FP20-50) plates are also going to be more expensive as there are very few FP75s in the world.

However, the typical single 1.85 plate undersized on the order of .400x.800 (I have the exact dims at the office), is going to be in the $55-$65 LIST price range. Street price is often less but different dealers may vary.

I can guarantee that the price of a Kinoton plate will exceed $36.00

What most may not appreciate about the dollar/euro situation is that Kinoton and Kinoton America subsidize the horrible dollar value as the value of the dollar dwindles. It seems like we only get about 1/2 of the real change but it STILL makes it seem expensive for some things.

Steve

Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 06:44 PM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get it.

But 175$ seemed to be a bit high for me. I will make sure that my boss is aware of this.

Now this is the 2nd time we notice price difference on certain items that we order from our supplier, either we will have to be more cautious or change supplier.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-01-2008 08:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your supplier is also your service company by changing suppliers they may be less interested in suppling emergency service as part of there overhead is in the parts prices

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-01-2008 09:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord, that is true...but if you are paying List+ on parts...there is probably a better service company out there too.

It is true, however, that parts have a fair amount of overhead associated with them verus their potential profit. You add up the time it takes to take the order, fill out a PO, either call or fax the PO (at long distance rates)...receive the order, verify you actually got what you ordered rather than some mystery part, send the part out, generate the invoice, send the invoice out, wait 30+ days (after all they are theatre owners...they get paid by their paytrons when they enter the building...their vendors get paid...whenever) and then close it all out...parts are rarely a huge profit item.

Now add to that the cost of a stocking dealer (like the one I work for)...then you also have monies tied up on having things at the ready at all times and trying to judge what the demands will be in an ever changing market. And to add insult to injury...the government taxes us annually based on what is in inventory (thereby discouaging any business from stocking anything).

The last kicker is when you find a defective part that has been on your shelf that you didn't know was defective. When you go to use them or sell them...they don't show their defectiveness until use...often they become complete losses for the dealer.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-02-2008 07:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that Ballantyne plates will also fit Kinoton FP serries machines just fine but few may realize this. They are far less expensive then plates from Kinoton. I want to say you could buy 5 or 6 Ballantyne plates for each Kinoton plate... Now there are certain DP-70 plates that may run that high except the pinhole plate which is about 65.00.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-02-2008 08:48 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton plates are chromed and as such, do not retain the heat the way typical plates will. They are definately more expensive to make than the Ballantyne but I would suppose they WILL work.

Here are the list prices:

For the Ballantyne "Widescreen" plate, part number 3368...the List price is $40.00.

Their plates range in price but the most expensive is $54.60 and that is a list price.

The Kinoton 1.85 plate (single) is the 5322 451 10012. Its current list price is $77.07.

The cheap Kinoton plate is $73.35 with the 1.85 plate being the most expensive in its category (so there isn't much of a range). Again, these are LIST prices...street prices are typically less so $175.00 seems out of line for just a part.

Might the $175 be the price to come out and cut the plate too? If so, it sounds real cheap unless they are right next door.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-02-2008 03:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
They are definately more expensive to make than the Ballantyne but I would suppose they WILL work.

Yep, have used Ballantyne plates many times on FP20/30 series machines. The Ballantyne plates are also more heavily discounted than Kinoton stuff. The Ballantynes are/were also chrome plated, they just don't have the 40 buck plastic knob at the end you pull it out by.

Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2008 06:32 PM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i was wrong....

When i saw the bill from our supplier i mistaken the price of the film clip (125$) for the price of the Kinoton Aperture plate.

The Kinoton Aperture plate was only 65$.

Sorry for all this. My Bad.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: