Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Main chains & film guard (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Main chains & film guard
Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2008 02:35 AM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know AMC's policy on using FilmGuard? I'm told we cant, but yet it is an approved item to order through our distributor + there are some old bottles lurking around in my booth.

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-07-2008 02:38 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Order it and see what happens.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-07-2008 03:29 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a projectionist who doesn't want to put forth any extra effort in the booth (a "its good enough" attitude), or someone who is in a position who can benefit monetarily (a manager who gets a bonus depending on how cheaply they run their theater) told you that. Many AMCs use it.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-07-2008 11:36 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The official company stance is that it's use is discouraged.

That's what I was told at my old theater by multiple managers when I asked then at my new theater the booth manager confirmed that they aren't supposed to use it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-07-2008 11:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they still have that braindead official policy of using silver paint pens to mark splices? [puke]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-07-2008 12:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, again see above. If the company didn't want you to use it, it wouldn't be on the approved product list, plain and simple. Discouraged in my travels means somebody is trying to save money (for their own personal benefit via raise/bonus, or because they think they will look good to corporate) at the expense of the presentation.

Scott, I've not seen anyone use the paint pens at an AMC in forever. However show me an AMC that doesn't masking tape or tuck their leaders on breakdown and I will be amazed.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-07-2008 01:06 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK the stuff wasn't available at all through the website that all supplies were ordered from. But that was some time ago when someone had looked it up. Maybe something was wrong with that site at that time?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2008 01:20 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
when someone had looked it up
Unfortunately a lot managers would rather lie than;

1. Admit they were wrong.

2. Have to justify a bad decision.

3. Keep having to discuss something with a subordinate.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2008 01:26 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, sorry to get OT, but what do you mean by masking tape their leaders on breakdown? If you are referring to using masking tape to hold the end of the head from coming free, what is preferable? I have seen reference to paper reel bands, but have never had a print come with them.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-07-2008 01:29 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Granted at the time the managers were having trouble finding parts for other projection equipment on that web interface so it could've just been that there was a glitch.

quote: Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Brad, sorry to get OT, but what do you mean by masking tape their leaders on breakdown? If you are referring to using masking tape to hold the end of the head from coming free, what is preferable? I have seen reference to paper reel bands, but have never had a print come with them.
He's meaning that when you tear down a lot of people, instead of splicing the head/tail back on just use a piece of tape.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-07-2008 03:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, the professional and proper way to reattach the leaders is with a single sided splice made with Neumade splicing tape. (Neumade tape can sit on the film for 10 years and still peel off without leaving any residue.)

Every AMC I have seen...and for that matter every theater with Strong equipment except for the Angelika Film Centers in Dallas, use a piece of masking tape to reattach the leaders *or* they tuck the leaders under not even reattaching them. I blame this mostly on the retarded design of the Strong MUT since there is no room to place a splicer, but also due to poor training.

The films are also wound sloppily and without proper tension, but that's another issue of the shitty Strong equipment. A good operator CAN overcome the issue if he actually cares about what he is doing, but it is more effort during breakdown to constantly apply backtension by hand and sadly few people do. They don't care about the next guy's presentation or the studio's property one bit...hence masking tape and sloppy breakdowns.

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2008 08:02 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our AMC booth, all heads and tails are re-attached using a single-sided splice.

We use FilmGuard, and I have never a word of discouragement or anything about it being against policy. It would be very easy to make it impossible to order by removing it from the approved products list, but I order it on a regular basis.

The silver-paint marker is 'policy' but I have never seen how it is useful and we don't use it.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2008 08:17 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is marking with a silver pen harmful in some way, assuming it's done on the tape, on the framline? does it flake off? i don't do that myself, but i do write titles and formats on the tails with silver sharpie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-08-2008 08:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carey Barber
The silver-paint marker is 'policy' but I have never seen how it is useful and we don't use it.
When we first got our platter, we also got this device that you could stick a silver marker into (point down) and then you would slide the film thru it, and it would mark the edge of the film evenly. It was the most useless piece of equipment I ever had because I realized after our first platter showing that it's easy to see the reel divisions on the platters. I guess it could be good for old prints that have a lot of splices.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-08-2008 08:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Eprad made that unit. I've got one around here somewhere. What sucked about it was that sometimes the paint pen could "leak" a little bit too much ink and then it would invade the soundtrack and picture area of the film. Back in the day when I was testing that idea I quickly found out and trained people to twist the film and do the marking "upside down" so that couldn't happen. Then I also showed them that they HAD to wait until it was fully dry before winding because it could cause a brain wrap when the two layers that were stuck together by the ink tried to pull apart.

In the end I said "screw it", because it really is another one of those useless booth supplies, just like yellow tape. [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: