Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong AP3 Platter Speed

Author Topic: Strong AP3 Platter Speed
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2008 10:25 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have AP3s in a theatre that I maintain. I'm not used to these particular platters, I grew up on the Potts version, which was very simple in design. What has started to happen over the past couple of weeks, is the payout seems to have slowed up and is now starting to wrap the film around the brain. Over the weekend , it was reported that it wrapped so bad that someone had to be there to spin it by hand. These platter are 8 years old, and really never have given me any trouble up til now. In reading the manual, the timing is very similar to the earlier pots platters. But even after timing them, I'm still getting a weird wrap. Now I notice the control board in the brain and the manual says not to touch anything in there, could there be some trouble with the LED or the board in there. More specifics, changing the brains between decks change nothing and the belts are looking a little worn, some have some cracks in it. After adjusting the motor to where the platter at least feeds to a certain degree, if you spin the deck by hand, it almost feels like there is no motor engaged. I remember with the older Potts platters, the belts were always a problem. Could a belt throw off the timing on the platter that much? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bernie

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-10-2008 11:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Throw out the brain. Get a new one. Seriously. That's about all you can do.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-11-2008 04:33 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how's the brushes in those AMTEK/LAMB vacuum platter motors? I bet you're coming up due for some brush replacements.

Phase control brains - the LED's do get tired in them and will affect your speed some, let alone the voltage coming out of the wall could have some variances as well. And phase control brains, along with them vacuum motors are very sensitive to voltage fluctuation in a very small amount.

A lot of folks do a phase control to microswitch exchange on the brains to eliminate such variances, but the tradeoff to microswitch is the removal of the continuous film payout to an 'off/on' power situation which the platter is either "off", or "on" form of operation.

Personally, I've never like the "on/off" status of the STRONG platters -from POTTS to the newest AP3's using microswitch brains for this simple reason of the lack of continuous payout.

(You might say, I'm rather spoiled by the payouts of the AW3, LP-270's and other makes that handles film on a continous flow).

For, if that film is laying on a deck that isn't centered, but eccentric, a microswitch controlled platter can easilly throw that print due to the 'on/off' status.

..my .02's worth -Monte

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2008 06:38 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So pretty much what you're saying is, its the brain is going and the combo with the vacum motor makes it worse? I was afraid of that. Does anyone have a grainger part number for the microswitch? Where ever I can get them the cheapest. Can the microswitch be mounted using the holes already drilled in the brain? Or do I have to drill new mounting holes.

Thanks

Bernie

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2008 11:03 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd check the brushes in the motor first; its very possible there is nothing wrong with the payout (brain).

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2008 12:01 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the point Joe was trying to make, in a roundabout kind of way is: There are literally 100's of threads regarding strong platter already with useful information regarding timing, motor speed, feed units, and other issues/tips. All one has to do is search for it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-11-2008 01:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grainger part no for brushes is a 6X284. Just be sure you take out the tension spring. If a conversion from phase to micro is at hand, you need to get a switch conversion kit from STRONG to do the adaptation.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-11-2008 11:05 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do a quick test. Install the payout and set the tension roller unit holding pin in the lowest hole. Disconnect the drive motor using the lever (mechanically, not electrically). Pull the payout arm to full ON. Now pull down the AP switch roller for that deck while the arm is still at full ON. The motor must slow down a bit when switched to rewind for the payout to work properly. I expect that with your payout control the rewind speed will be higher... ie the rpm will audibly increase when you pull down the AP switch roller.
The platter design requires that the payout platter be capable of going slightly faster than the rewind platter. The Alpha/AP design uses a series resistor in rewind mode plus the drag of the takeup film tension to guarantee this speed advantage. Timing the platters just ensures that the platters turn at roughly the same speed for a given motor voltage. Using microswitch payouts also guarantees the speed advantage assuming timing is correct... but the phase control payout CAN (and should) give smoother operation with less speed hunting.
Adjustment: Open the phase control box: remove the tiny screw and washer and gently wiggle and lift the cover off. The arm must be fully OFF or the little plastic shutter thing will jam in the cover slot and pull up/off. That's not serious but the way it goes back on and how the spring works are not entirely obvious if you have one in pieces.
Check that the basic adjustment is good: the plastic shutter has a little rounded notch in it, this should align with the sensor lens (lower pcb) when the arm is fully ON. This is adjusted by loosening the two screws attaching the control box to the payout plate, the box pivots on the flat head screw and is locked in place by the round head screw. If both are just finger tight the control box can be turned to set the shutter adjustment. The LED should be roughly centred above the sensor but a bit off to the side away from the shutter, you can move the upper PCB and/or bend the LED wires to adjust.
Now the trimpot adjustment. You need to have a powered platter in a reaonably dark place. Luckily most platters are in projection rooms... almost always easy to get reasonably dark. Get a flashlight and a trimpot tweeker (or tiny flat screwdriver).
Install the payout on a deck you can reach it on. Lock the tension roller unit holding pin in the lowest hole. Disconnect the drive motor, again using the lever (mechanically, not electrically).
Find the trimpot and get your tweeker/driver in its slot using the flashlight then turn the light off - stray light will really affect the adjustment and you will notice the motor runs if light shines into the sensor lens. Pull the arm to full on. The motor should run and you should see some sign of LED light. Now adjust the trimpot for just above maximum speed: this means turn it down (CCW) until the motor slows down noticeably. Now turn it up (CW) very slowly until the motor reaches the highest speed attainable... then turn it higher a fraction of a turn more. You should notice the LED is brighter than before you touched the adjustment.
This adjustment isn't described in Strong literature as far as I know, nor have I seen a schematic for the phase control payout. The trimpot might be to avoid some catastrophic failure mode and adjustment suicidal... but I think it just compensates for aging LEDs and I've adjusted several - this is my normal fix when an otherwise fine Alpha/AP platter starts doing brain wraps for no good reason.
This is reasonably safe, but has some risk. There's AC power on the payout PCB and wires - this should be only the variac voltage, maybe 50 volts or so with the holding pin engaged. The variac is not an isolating transformer, though: if the power cord/plug are miswired there may be full line voltage present. Be careful.
DC platters are totally different, don't try this crap with them (DMC or SCDC).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-11-2008 11:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to ask while we're on the subject of Strong brains... but how exactly do the SCDC brains work? Are they compatible with only a certain make of the platter or are the brains interchangeable with other Strong platters? Why the blinky-blink lights?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-12-2008 12:22 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The digital control platters are interesting. They power the motors with 32VDC if I remember correctly. The rewind and payout are independent... you could for example run the centre of one film roll to the outside of a film already rolled on another platter. This is impossible with an Alpha/AP unit because the payout platter can only go slightly faster than the rewind (OK, take-up) platter.
Because of this independence the control system has to be more complex... an embedded microprocessor (the "digital" part) is used to control the motor speed, probably a sliding window proportional control is used. The DMC ones have to be calibrated occasionally by some arcane procedure using a button and the operating arm. The SCDC ones are self calibrating ("SC"). Both, I think, have a serial port you can monitor the operation and change some control parameters through. Either type, when working properly, is very smooth running. The DMC payouts are no longer available and SCDC payouts are plug-in compatible. Changine the rewind from DMC to SCDC is more trouble but is easily possible.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-12-2008 03:56 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
Now adjust the trimpot for just above maximum speed: this means turn it down (CCW) until the motor slows down noticeably. Now turn it up (CW) very slowly until the motor reaches the highest speed attainable... then turn it higher a fraction of a turn more. You should notice the LED is brighter than before you touched the adjustment.
..if one had a platter tach, would this help out some in adjusting these phsae control units better/easier?

quote: Dave Macaulay
digital control platters
Kinda like STRONG's version of the AW3?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-12-2008 09:40 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think a tach would help. You can hear the motor speed up or slow down once it's disengaged and free running. These are, after all, just vacuum cleaner motors so they make a LOT of noise...
I've seen pictures of AW3 platters, but Christie has sold approximately zero of them in Canada. So I can't comment on them having never met one.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-12-2008 05:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The brand new motors I received with my 2 brand new Strong platters are/were virtually silent. They only sounded like a vacuum when the variac was near the very bottom.

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2008 08:20 PM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micro..Digikey part 480-2442-ND
I give 'em a couple of years at best!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: