Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Can I double up on The Alpha Platter System? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Can I double up on The Alpha Platter System?
Michael Dolan
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2008 12:42 PM      Profile for Michael Dolan   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Dolan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have splice double features that alternate showings together on a Christie AW3 plenty of times without a problem. But will the alpha platter hold the weight of 2 movies on 1 platter since it is alot thinner then the christie's

Has anyone successfully done this before

FYI. The movies I want to combine will be Kungfu Panda 5 reels and Indiana Jones 7 reels making it a total of 12 reels trailers and 2 10min. preshows.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-11-2008 12:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can load two movies on a Strong Alpha Platter with no problems. I do it all the time.

All 52 inch platters were designed to hold 4.5hrs of film.

-Monte

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2008 03:14 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have done it on a Strong Platter, but now wouldn't think of doing it without a platter ring. Otherwise you risk having to pick 2 prints up off the floor.

Michael Dolan
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2008 03:23 PM      Profile for Michael Dolan   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Dolan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Burroughs
but now wouldn't think of doing it without a platter ring.
Good point didn't even think about having to pick up 2 movies. [Eek!]

I know he is not going to go for the platter ring so I guess I'm stuck again doing it the hard way [bs]

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2008 03:47 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been running 2 movies and 15 minutes of intermission tags for more than 10 years without platter rings. We just use 5-7 suction cup and have never had a problem

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-11-2008 08:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Course, using a length of film and a clothespin to make a band wrap does wonders on holding these big prints from ends flying as well....

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-12-2008 09:09 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Alphas aren't as robust as Christies and some others but they are stronger than they look. The curved outer edge creates stiffness to resist warping. The extruded metal battens underneath add strength.

No, they won't hold up if you stand on them but they are plenty strong enough to hold all the film that fits on the deck.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-12-2008 09:59 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The weight is no problem. Just watch out if you try to separate the prints onto different rings. The second print with large inside diameter running onto a small ring is prone to being thrown off. You should have a support ring on the outside of the payour roll and taping the ring to the table would be a good idea.
Going the other way - paying out off a ring and taking up on the outside of a print roll... this usually gives brain wraps and you may be sitting spinning the payout platter through the whole show.
This is a consequence of the power system on this platter, the payout platter can only turn a bit faster than the take-up platter.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-12-2008 12:55 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Avoid that problem all together.

Just break the "outside" print down onto 2 or more 6,000 foot reels then rebuild it as a separate print on another deck.

It should only take 15 - 30 minutes if you work smartly.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-12-2008 01:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..or build one, the scoop that one off using a pizza board and put it on another deck, and continue the 2nd print.

I never had any probs with doing the dbl build and having the first feature leave the big middle for the 2nd. (why I like phase control brains for this trick - smooth payout)

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2008 01:45 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a christie aw3 you can actually load one print on top of another on the same platter deck... I would NOT try this with an alpha though!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-12-2008 02:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to remember that even though film is heavy when we carry it vertically (3 hr print in clamps and carrying it down our side, is almost 100lbs), but with the 100 lb weight spread out horizontally and in that large of diameter, it's really not that all heavy for the deck - why the deck can handle that much film, yet we would easily destroy a deck standing on it-being vertical.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-12-2008 05:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With a christie aw3 you can actually load one print on top of another on the same platter deck... I would NOT try this with an alpha though!
I've had to do this with trailer packs. Sometimes when we get a print from another theater, they remove the trailers before the last run and take it up right to their Strong platter ring (I think only Strong platters are allowed in Art houses since they are cheap-o both in price and in quality). I build up a new pack o' trailers and load it onto a ring and put it on top of the other print. You do have to be careful on payout because the film will want to land on the wrong side of all of those stupid little rollers Strong places around their brain.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-12-2008 09:44 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AW3 if you double load; invert a McDonalds straw and plug it onto the feed out sensor fingers. Alternatively, use a 70mm feed sensor arm.(You can then remove this as soon as you are "normal." Louis

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2008 09:59 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a really really really good idea about the straw!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: