Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projectionist documentary!

Author Topic: Projectionist documentary!
Gabriel Rhodes
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2008 11:51 AM      Profile for Gabriel Rhodes   Email Gabriel Rhodes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
Several years ago I posted a few announcements on this forum looking for projectionists to tell their stories on film for a documentary I was making called Behind the Glass. I wanted to let everyone here know that the film had its World Premiere at Toronto's Hot Docs International Film Festival in April.

It's a 21 minute film, shot entirely on 16mm. It profiles several projectionists from across the country and details the history of the profession as told by the projectionists themselves. I received a lot of advice, contacts and anecdotes from members of this board, so there's a little piece of everyone in the film. You can view a clip from the film on the film's website: www.behindtheglass.com. and find more information about the making of the film.

Best,
Gabriel Rhodes

Spam sections of this post removed by Admin

[ 06-16-2008, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2008 08:14 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on the completion and release of your long-awaited doc, Gabe! [thumbsup]

In which format is the doc being distributed to the festival circuit, 35mm, 16mm, or (ugh)...video?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-17-2008 12:10 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, did you submit your film to Silverdocs (AFI documentary film festival)? I don't see it on the list of Docs this year.

Steve

Gabriel Rhodes
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2008 10:03 AM      Profile for Gabriel Rhodes   Email Gabriel Rhodes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jon & Steve,
Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to pay to have a 35mm blow-up made and I didn't want to strike a 16mm print because not enough festivals will project 16 anymore. So, I did the next best thing....a friend of mine arranged for a 2k digital scan of the negative and I finished digitally on HDCAM. I was worried about the presentation too, but the projection at Hot Docs was so good, that even though it wasn't film, it looked pretty darn good. So, hopefully most festivals will be screening it in HDCAM.

I did apply to Silverdocs, but they did not select the film. I would have loved to screen it there, too, because DC is my hometown. It showed at the MAryland Film Festival in Baltimore in early May, but it hopefully it will find its way back to the DC area.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: