Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Can you buy just black film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Can you buy just black film
Jeremy M Smith
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 01:54 AM      Profile for Jeremy M Smith   Email Jeremy M Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wandering can you buy just black film as I have to keep trying to steal black film with no sound track off trailers and film. it is very hard to find long enough peices.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-10-2008 02:11 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you can buy plain black film.

Jeremy M Smith
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 02:26 AM      Profile for Jeremy M Smith   Email Jeremy M Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
where from

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 04:44 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy M Smith
where from
Jack Roe (CS) Ltd

Black Mylar with Frame lines
FSPMY35BKF for 100ft Roll

Or Black Polyester with Frame Indicator
FSPMY35BKFI for 100ft roll

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-10-2008 04:48 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call Atlab Image and Sound. They'll get you whatever you need.

Jeremy M Smith
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 05:01 AM      Profile for Jeremy M Smith   Email Jeremy M Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea they just takes months here to get anything [Frown]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-10-2008 06:22 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any good cinema equipment dealer will stock "leader for lens changes." BB-100 from Hadden is a good example. No sound, no frames. Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-10-2008 11:40 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The best commercial leader available on the market (other than the stuff I make but don't sell publicly) is from Jack Roe and I think it is called blackhole leader or something like that...or you could purchase some 35mm fullcoat magnetic film and use. Both are very scratch resistant (literally you can drag it around the floor) and they truly give you the look of the douser being closed and exciter/led being off.

The BB100 isn't very good leader, as it isn't truly opaque and scratches easily, but it's the better product of what most dealers sell. The B100 stuff is pure crap and other brands have marks in the soundtrack, etc.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 03:22 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure to steer clear of black film that has framelines all the way across, including in the soundtrack area. If your automation doesn't mute the sound in time for a changeover or startup, you'll get a loud buzzing out of the auditorium speakers as this frameline leader goes through!

Seems to happen a lot at the Bradford Cineworld; when they changeover from flat to scope - anyone know what equipment and film they use?

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 04:03 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
The best commercial leader available on the market (other than the stuff I make but don't sell publicly) is from Jack Roe and I think it is called blackhole leader or something like that...
Think I know what you mean as we used to order that stuff from PLC Video in London and is great stuff for Feature Change Leader etc.

I see Jack Roe also stock it as "Black And White Polyester Spacing"

Code: FSPBW35100P

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2008 11:44 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Processing raw film stock makes the best black leader. So if you know someone at a film lab that may be a good bet...

Patrick Dunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2008 11:35 PM      Profile for Patrick Dunn   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Both are very scratch resistant (literally you can drag it around the floor) and they truly give you the look of the douser being closed and exciter/led being off.
I have no clue what the regal uses near me for their leader, but sometimes before the first green band goes on screen sometimes you may see up to a full second of a bunch of green and red scratches up on screen. It looks like they did drag it along the floor.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-12-2008 12:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be the generic B100 or BB100 type of mylar leader.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2008 05:34 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me of what I used to see at the Sheffield VUE cinema. As I've mentioned before, the Simplex Millennium lens turret is slow and needs a significant amount of spacer film to cover the changeover.
After the last trailer, there would be about 1.5 seconds of film scratches before the automation kicked in and changed lenses. Honestly, it looked like the film had been dragged over a gravel surface several times!

The background color of this spacer film was usually slightly off-white, or sometimes dark green. Perhaps this is the leader of which you speak?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-17-2008 12:49 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Brad about mag full coat. The Zonal or Pyral stuff which has an antistatic coating on the base side is pretty tough stuff for making up platter leaders, and it's also possible to get it with a mark between every fourth perforation on one side, making it dead easy to cut in rack.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: