Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong, Simplex, Millennium, and Century Projectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Strong, Simplex, Millennium, and Century Projectors
Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2009 12:27 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only equipment I have worked with (until a few days ago) has been the "Christie package".

So, I was trying to understand the relationship between the following companies/products:

- Strong/Ballantyne
- Century
- Millennium
- Simplex

Now I THINK that Strong is a large company that owns other smaller groups (like Century). Also, Millennium and Simplex are particular Strong models.

Is this correct? Any info you folks could give me would be great.

Thanks,
Carey

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-06-2009 12:39 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
never mind me, others have much better answers.

[ 02-06-2009, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Justin Hamaker ]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-06-2009 01:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can take a peek here about STRONG products.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2009 01:07 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ballantyne of Omaha owns Strong International, and markets its cinema equipment under this name. Century Projector Corporation and Simplex Projector Company were originally separate companies, in fact competitors. Optical Radiation Corporation (ORC) purchased Century. Strong purchased Simplex, and later purchased ORC, so therefore they own Century. Justin is correct; Millennium is a model of Simplex projector. Millennium was the successor to the PR1060, which replaced the PR1050. The Millennium is currently manufactured side by side with the Apogee. All of the above are models of Simplex.

Century projectors have not been manufactured by Century since they were purchased by ORC in 1982. However, Strong continues to manufacture the Century projector to this day.

Century history
Simplex history
Strong history

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-06-2009 02:52 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact every National Amusement screen has a Century; it is also the dominant projector in drive ins, and in the 250 miles around Louisville Ky. (Yes, I like XL's too.) Louis

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2009 02:54 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I toured the Balantyne plant in '06. All those machines are manufactured at the Omaha plant. They were also busy working on a digital system at the time. The Apogee is the latest model of Simplex. I had one in a theatre I was managing in Iowa. It put out the the most steady picture I've ever seen. It had to be modified however with a free-wheeling sprocket for the lower loop.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-06-2009 03:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
In fact every National Amusement screen has a Century
Yes, but hopefully they are YOUR rebuilds! Yours are far superior to the ones Strong is building. Indiana is predominatly Black Wrinkle Simplex X-L in the Drive Inns I used to service.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-06-2009 05:25 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
every National Amusement screen has a Century
Well, *most* of them, anyway. [Wink] They have a fair number of P-35GP's and PR-1060s, too (the latter being ex-Regal). The Christies are NA builds.

FWIW, Ballantyne began in the business by selling sound systems and arc lamps. They sold the Ballantyne BW projector, which was a rebranded Wenzel, which was a Standard Simplex clone.

Harry Strong of Toledo started Strong Electric in the early part of the 20th century, with his revolutionary reflector arc lamp; a major improvement over the condenser arcs of the day.

Simplex projectors were made by International Projector Corporation (IPC) in New Jersey. If I'm recalling my history correctly, I believe a founder of IPC was C. Francis Jenkins, who, along with Thomas Armat, were true pioneers of motion picture projection. They developed the famous Maltese Cross (Geneva) intermittent movement which was used in the mechanism that became Edison's Vitascope. (Most projectors today employ Geneva movements.)

Century Projector Corporation was formed in New York (circa 1938) by the sale of the company that made Kaplan projectors (yet another Simplex Standard clone). Sam Kaplan was a NYC projectionist and a president of Local 306.

In the early 70s, Ballantyne began making Pro 35 projectors. In the late 70s/early 80s, Ballantyne bought Strong Electric and was subsequently bought by Canrad-Hanovia (xenon bulb mfgr) and became Strong International.

The rest of the acquisitions and projector lineage are mentioned above (I think I got all this right).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-06-2009 07:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
never mind me, others have much better answers
(You could have kept your post up, for it was a valid post. Don't feel what you know isn't important, for it shows that you want to be a part of the Film-Tech team..)

My two bugs with the Mil projector though (Took these pics with my celphone: rotten results in color why the option of B/W - to show more detail..):

-
The short pulldown knurl knobs on the upper pad roller assembly .. but do understand why so now after it was explained - the lens would bang into the back knob. Yet, why not put a full-sized knob on the front of the pad arm? (I totated the turret purposely to show the lack of clearance of the rear knob on that pad roller arm...)

-

The turret release latch (on the manual turret): looking to wanna poke an eyeball out in this horrible position. You think that they'd put that release latch in a more safe position, or constructed a latch that was better designed - like a pushbutton latch release or something..

-Monte

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-06-2009 07:49 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More issues with the PR-2000: the aperture plates are difficult to change and also are way too easy to accidentally bump. Also, the upper feed sprocket is too high (compared with the PR-1014), which gives an awkward upper loop if threaded like the PR-1014 (with the top of the loop at its largest size even with the top of the upper feed sprocket).

I'm not really sure why people buy this model when the PR-1014 works perfectly well, has less to go wrong with it, and runs quieter (because of the film compartment door). Do people really just order the turret machines because they are afraid that someone might drop a lens?

While I'm ranting, one thing that no 35mm projector seems to get right is the focus knob. I want one that is big and, ideally, has two concentric knobs (coarse and fine adjustment, like on a microscope), and which is located some distance away from the lens itself. Too bad no one seems to make this, as far as I know.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-06-2009 08:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Do people really just order the turret machines because they are afraid that someone might drop a lens?

They got booth monkeys running projectors, and you have to make things simple for them - that's all the intelligence they are allowed to have...

Know of a 6plex that has split PR-1050's and PR-1014's and agree with Scott: PR-1014's are great machines. Yet, due to manual lens changes, these clowns manage to bust up three lenses - 2 prime lens on the anamporphic and one flat..by dropping them..

..and the owner doesn't to do anything to prevent these accidents..

-Monte

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2009 01:08 AM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the info fellas!

I am training at a theater that uses Simplex Millenium projectors.

When I go back home to begin working at my new theater we will be using some old Century projectors.

I have been working with Christie P35 projectors so long that they are pretty much THE projector in my mind. I am going to have to learn some new material here very soon!

Thanks again,
Carey

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2009 02:25 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was also doing some Mil training today as well on a staff member who is exited to learn projection. I showed this person some neat tricks that wasn't shown to this staff member when this person begain the basic training procedures.

..and interestingly enough, this trainee was shown how to set the INT sprocket to be in frame on startup - just had to correct on how the correct loop sizes are to be.

..was somewhat impressed with this trainee. There's actual hope that this new generation can show professional interest in this field.

Good Luck - Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-07-2009 08:25 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little addendum to Tim's otherwise excellent chronology...Ballantyne was the importer of Norelco projectors, at one point.

The Pro-35 was actually a Norelco DP75 knockoff but in 35mm. Look at it...it has a more than passing resemblence on the gear side. Ever noticed that a Ballantyne and Norelco/Kinoton single aperture plate fit each other? And then there is the whole framing bushing thing.

As for turrets vs single lens holder...while I agree that single lens holders are the way to go...look at what happens with less inclined "operator." The poor Scope lens never has a chance...it gets slammed in such that it rarely if ever matches focus with the flat lens AND it gets twisted. On manual turrets, the poor scope lens gets twisted as it is the "crank" by which to turn the turret. Also with turrets...no need for a place to put the lenses...they are both there.

For focus knobs...Christie had an excellent single lens system with a really nice/clean focus rack. Kinoton FP75s is a real nice focus...it goes through a gear reduction too. I also always liked the AA2's focus assembly. The fatal flaw being that your hand could get into the picture if you don't pay attention AND it is sooooo looooooong that it is not friendly to short EFs.

Monte...on the pad roller arm thing...remember, there are more lenses than just yours...some stick back further...but more to the point...the other pad roller is normally the eccentric one...the less leverage there the better. I've changed many an eccentric pad roller shaft. And even more to the point...left up to a factory worker...they'll put the short knob on the wrong shaft! Remember back in the IPC days, only one shaft had a knob!

And yes, National Amusements had a bried stink with Christie P35-GPs. When ORC sold to Strong...Glen didn't want to deal with Strong and went for the Christie package...29,000 revisions later on the P35 (in the first month) and back to Century they went.

I don't have the 2009 price sheet...but I think I heard that the Apogee is no longer being made.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-07-2009 08:47 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve has it exactly right: a few Christies and back to Century. Every tech called me and thanked me; they thought I was responsible.

I have run a 30 year cost/benfit analysis of auto lens changers vs. not. It is slightly cheaper, long term, to use the lens changer. Of course, if suitably qualified people were hired, then this would not be necessary. (Remember, you also save the cost of the lens cabinet, etc.) My best case scenario: Old Century or XL with a Kelmar gate/turret. This is what we sell if we are permitted. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: