Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Madea Goes To Jail (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Madea Goes To Jail
Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2009 06:31 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're booked to open 3 prints this weekend. It's a tecnicolor film, so I was expecting it here this evening from UPS, like usual. I get here at 4 and there are 5 cans. 2.5 copies. Not 10 minutes later, as I'm about to call Technicolor, they call me. They notice how only 5 cans were scanned out and are busy looking for the missing can, telling me it will be here tonight, guaranteed. If this had happened with Deluxe, I would be getting that last can Friday morning. Kudos to technicolor. Glad you still care about the theatres.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-18-2009 06:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know but up here both deluxe and technicolor seem to go well above and beyond getting prints to theatres as soon as they can with in the limited time frame they have control of

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2009 06:58 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the 1st time I've had either company call me about an issue with delivery, yet have had too many delivery problems to count.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-18-2009 07:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be worth defining delivery problems
often prints become available only hours earlier off another screen and print shipping logistics are complex to say the least
not to say there are not screw ups

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2009 07:41 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today's issue seems to have been a mishap at the dock. The UPS truck must not have realized how many cans we had. Several times Deluxe has shorted us prints, but not told us at all. Only when I call do they even make an attempt to locate our film. I was just noticing something Technicolor did that was unusually heplful to us, especially in the major metropolis of DFW where I'm sure they are handling thousands of prints this weekend.

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2009 12:27 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I received 1.5 copies of 2 that I need for Madea. I built one, and am going in this afternoon to check to see if the rest has arrived. Then its time to start making calls.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-19-2009 03:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little surprised that Technicolor hasn't gone to the Fox Box or some similar container, although I'm glad they haven't.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-20-2009 12:38 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, how dare you even suggest that obscenity forced upon us all, the dreaded Fox Box!! [Big Grin]

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2009 09:35 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turns out they couldn't find the other can, so they just sent a new copy of the film. And they still have no idea where it is.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-20-2009 11:08 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny...you'd think this would be a case where UPS's seperate tracking per-piece (versus one tracking number for the pair with DHL) would be a win. But my guess in this case is that it disappeared off the face of the earth before the first scan (which just leaves TES and UPS pointing fingers at each other).

I'm never sure what to make about of this sort of thing:
 -

I mean, did it really leave TES (Wilmington, OH) at 1:01am? On most of ours, we see the origin scan in Wilmington, OH; though possibly it has to do with ground service versus air service. (OH->MA is 2 days by ground, so TES films seem to come ground. But OH->TX is 3 days by ground, I think they go via air).

In any case, though, I do know that TES is always looking for feedback on how UPS is doing. (Though in your case, I guess they know the answer!).

On boxes, honestly, I somehow doubt that either TES or UPS wants to transport them. I mean, they're a huge pain in the neck (perhaps literally!) for drivers, too. On the other hand, I guess I don't know much about the negotiated discounts between TES and UPS, and whether they're transporting them on conveyer belts (DHL didn't -- they had to move them through their sorting facility by hand!), and if that's a big deal or not, etc., etc.

Anyhow, Technicolor has always been historically much more proactive than Deluxe about this kind of thing (shipping verification). So I think you're right to applaud their due diligence here!

Of course, it's a lot easier for them, because they use a delivery service with online tracking. Since DFS uses a whole smattering of regional courier services, some (most?) of which don't provide online tracking, it is a lot harder for them to proactively notice a potential problem from the tracking info and flag it for a phone call. Sure, they could call everybody, but that would be a lot of busywork.

--jhawk

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2009 12:47 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind the Fox Box if they would just make that damn handle a little wider so I can actually get my entire hand in it. For now I just grip under the flaps on either side and carry them that way.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-24-2009 10:36 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....and wheels; put wheels on it!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-24-2009 10:45 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wheels and a long handle so it could be its own hand truck.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2009 02:53 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And a motor, so it can drive itself. Up a flight a stairs if possible.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-24-2009 08:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And wings.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: