Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm festival? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 70mm festival?
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 08:51 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all...

Just want to get an idea of what good 70mm prints are still around in Canada and the U.S these days.

I want to put on a small 70mm festival at the only 70mm venue left in the Ottawa area. Are only option is magnetic sound or optical though as they don't have a DTS system.

Looking for the following prints and they can't be magenta balanced... I know its a long shot...

Lawrenece of Arabia
Pink Folyd's the Wall
Quest For Fire (35mm blow up)
Buraka
West Side Story
Dune
Tron
Sound of Music

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-22-2009 09:55 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are thinking of the bytown they dont have any mag preamps anymore

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 10:18 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No the Museum of Civilization in Hull... Vic 8's

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 11:41 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Castro theater down here in San Franciso has been doing fairly regular 70mm runs recently.

Patton - recent restoration and new print. Looks and sounds fantastic - i think this is DTS sound though

Brainstorm - good color, good sound, unfortunately the first half of reel 2 has sprocket damage (somewhere along the way an inboard set of 35mm sprocket teeth punched holes into the middle of the image)

Jacques Tati's 'Playtime' Recent restoration and new print. Looks and sounds great.

Starman (blowup) - Original print. Good color, however it was starting to go VS when I saw it 3 years ago. Don't know how it is now or if it's available anymore.

Tron - This is a print that was struck in 1999. It's still in great condition.

2001 - I think this is a print that was struck in 1995. It's starting to show some wear. Scratches/lines, etc.

Ghostbusters - I haven't seen this print.

Top Gun - Haven't seen this one either.

I'm pretty sure I've heard of recent screenings of "The Wall"

Lawerence of Arabia 1989 restoration - I last saw this print in 2000 I think, whenever the closing for renovation "festival" was for the Cinerama Dome before they constructed the new Arclight complex. The print was very nice.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-22-2009 11:52 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen 'West Side Story' on 70mm fairly recently, but to be honest, it didn't look as good as a new 35mm print which had been made a few years previously.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-22-2009 12:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 2004, I ran Ghostbusters, The Abyss, and Starman at a science-fiction convention. Ghostbusters was in decent condition, but was a rather poor quality blowup. The Abyss had some sprocket damage, but was otherwise gorgeous. I'm sure that it would have sounded great on a better system than ours (which was just into the barely acceptable range). Starman was probably the print that Sean described above--near-mint, gorgeous, and in early-stage VS.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-22-2009 04:15 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, 70mm prints have got a lot going against them surviving in good condition. Almost all of them are colour, and therefore subject to fading. All 70mm colour prints are on chromogenic print stocks, mainly Eastmancolor, but also other similar stocks, Fujicolor, Sovcolor etc. They were never made by the more stable Technicolor dye transfer process. Most 65mm production, and many 70mm prints were from the days before low-fade stocks. Most 70mm prints were on triacetate stock, and therefore are more likely to have perforation damage, tears and Vinegar Syndrome. The breakdown of triacetate is catalysed by the presence of Iron (III) ions, which are present in the oxide used in the magnetic stripe on all 70mm prints with analogue sound tracks.** The fading of the colour dyes is also accelerated by acetic acid evolved during the breakdown of the triacetate film base. 70mm prints are expensive to produce, and so new prints are seldom produced to replace worn or faded ones. The magnetic recording on analogue 70mm prints can be damaged by magnetised equipment, or by magnetic fields from rectifiers etc. Given all of this, it's not surprising that there are not that many good 70mm prints around.

** ok, this is not quite true, but near enough.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2009 08:44 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
another question...

Whats the deal with 70MM dts? is it just a matter of buying 70mm DTS readers? I guess a normal DTS processor will work?

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 09-24-2009 08:53 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same player, different readers. You're supposed to use two players (and two sets of disks) and a failover board from DTS for redundancy, but the system will work fine without that.

The 70mm readers can probably be rented if you don't want to own them.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2009 11:45 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some 70mm DTS prints, don't you have to make a modification to the processor to get the five behind screen channels?

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2009 11:46 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your just stuck with the standard 5.1

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-24-2009 12:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For ToddAo playback a 6th Decoder chip must be installed in the 6D and then the channels must be reasigned on the cable for ToddAo
regular 5.1 70 like Titanic and Vertigo use the regular DTS 5.1 config
The extra chip can be left installed with out any side effects
The DTS 6 cannot do the ToddAo format

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-24-2009 08:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the "special venue" version of the DTS-6D have the capability of custom assigning audio channels as a standard feature? I also seem to recall that player having all six audio channels capable of full range playback.

BTW, isn't there at least a couple or so 70mm DTS prints of Lawrence of Arabia available to book? Sony had some of them made for the 30th anniversary release back in 2002. At least for that movie there should be a choice between Dolby SR mag and DTS in the 70mm print inventory.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-24-2009 10:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the special venue unit is a different fish it reads smpte to start with rather than DTS which is a difference in TC chip and a jumper
The bottom line if one wants to run toddao dts it is a 6d with all 6 chips
LOA was 70 a type or 70 sr initially
the DTS version i am not sure what the track config is and I would check with Harris before making any conjecture on it
2001 also had different versions of the disks as well

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 09-24-2009 10:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a 70mm DTS version of 2001? The one that I'm aware of (one of two, one of which was trashed in its first engagement) that was made in 2001 was mag.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: