Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to connect condensed Mic to PC mono mic Input

Author Topic: How to connect condensed Mic to PC mono mic Input
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2009 04:07 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the correct way to make an adaptor for connecting a condensed microphone to a pc mono mic input. I want to try an RTA sofware and I don't want to damage something.
Demetris

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-12-2009 04:54 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, it's condenser mic, not condensed. [Wink] Condenser being the old term for capacitor, which is how the mic works (it's pickup element is essentially a capacitor). Depending on the mic you have, it may require 48V phantom power down the line, or it may use an internal battery. If it uses a battery, you should be good to go - just be prepared for higher levels on the input.

Phantom power would be trickier and I don't have a quick answer for that.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2009 04:59 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be a lot cheaper/easier to just get a microphone made for the PC. But if you insist on putting a professional-level microphone (like a condenser mic which probably has an XLR connector) into a PC then you can get pre-amps with USB or Firewire interfaces and that'll give you some pretty high quality sound. It might help us to give you advice if you tell us the model of microphone. I'm not sure what "RTA software" means.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-12-2009 05:07 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RTA = Real-Time Analyzer

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 11-12-2009 05:46 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll guess that the easiest way would be through microphone mixer with phantom supply and unbalanced output...assuming that the PC has an unbalanced mic input. I think Behringer make such units.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2009 06:28 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most measurement microphones work on 12-15V also, so on sound card mic input you also have voltage for it, tip is signal hot (input) ring is power....about 12V and slave is ground....so, if you have XLR on mic go this way:

GND from PC to no 1 and 3 of mic XLR
TIP to 2 of mic XLR via cca 4uF cond
Slave to 2 via 2k resistor

This cond and resistor are all ready in mic input....but newer know are they in all....so better to put them, than to kill sound card input.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-12-2009 07:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would the microphone input even be good enough for such a task? Those things usually aren't built to the best of quality and feature distortion galore, especially on laptops.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-13-2009 08:31 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PSC Audio and others make inline phantom power (and T-power) supplies for connecting microphones to preamps that don't supply it. They work fine. A USB interface/preamp with phantom power would probably be simpler, though.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-13-2009 11:23 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The USB pre is an excellent unit it is supplied with the D2 also there is a good unit called Maudio which I have used for recording
be carefull most measurement mics are phantomed at 9-12v not the 48 volt of studio mics
I have used my d2 mics for recording and Tim provided a set of adapters to protect the mic

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2009 03:55 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MXL Mic Mate is excellent; it's a USB-powered microphone preamp with 48V phantom power. It has an XLR jack on one end and a USB jack on the other, and it has three fixed gain settings, which is good if you calibrate your microphone in software.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-13-2009 05:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.m-audio.ca/products/en_ca/MobilePreUSB.html

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/usbpremaster.htm

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-18-2009 09:31 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
I have used my d2 mics for recording and Tim provided a set of adapters to protect the mic
What adapters? Don't you connect the mics through the multiplexer when you use your D2?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-19-2009 07:15 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes i do but i sometimes use the mics by themselves for recording directly into the usb pre and the 48v phantom would fry them

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-19-2009 09:21 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a good idea also when you want to just set up one mic, e.g. for a quick check, but I suspect the displayed SPL reading in the software would be totally off then as the level will be much lower than what you get from the multiplexer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: