Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Repair Cement For Lens (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Repair Cement For Lens
Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2009 09:43 PM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping some of you gents could direct me to a source for lens cement or someone who would perform the repair for me. I understand some types of cement have a hazardous materials rating and are very costly to have shipped. I have a Kollmorgen Hi-Lux Variable Anamorphic Lens that was in storage for about ten years. During that time the cement yellowed and crumbled. I discovered this when I removed it from storage and disassembled it for cleaning. Since this is one of a matched pair, I would like to repair it and return it to service. Any ideas or information from you guys sure would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tony

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-20-2009 12:35 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to duck and cover, until I saw in your profile you're putting together a home screening room! [Wink]

I would think Schneider could do the work, but it won't be cheap.

Btw, I have an old Hi-Lux variable from my hometown drive-in, that was used there when I was a kid. It's a paperweight on my desk, and I will never part with it. [Smile]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-20-2009 05:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and you may have to make contact with a booth supply dealer to make arrangements for lens repair since the lens manufacturer usually won't deal with customers directly.

...Just a protocol these people uses..

Good luck-Monte

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-20-2009 05:24 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, it sure would be easier and a lot cheaper to buy a used anamorphic, unless you have a specific need for the Hi-Lux's ability to vary the expansion ratio. If not probably for the cost of the cement you can get a lens that will not be such a light hog and with better resolution.

Is there a need for the variable? If you project an SMPTE hatch test film (can't recall the PA number off hand), you will see that those variables don't vary evenly across they frame. They can have more stretch on one end than the other.

Plus, unless you have some hands-on experience in lens manufacture, I wouldn't try glueing the elements yourself. The manufacture has equipment that can apply a micro thin layer of glue evenly across the lens that you can't do by hand with a brush. Unless you just like to tinker.

Lastly, unlike Tim, there are plenty of used theatre equipment dealers who WILL part with their Hi-Lux paperweights for a very reasonable cost I'm sure.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-20-2009 07:51 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried asking a place that repairs cameras? Most of them will work on lenses, although they probably have never seen anamorphics before. It's worth asking, anyway.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-20-2009 09:42 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not worth repairing. Having Schneider repair it would cost more than a good used late model anamorphic bought off of e-bay. The elemments in an anamorphic have to be aligned to with in .01deg for the image to be sharp.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-20-2009 12:00 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
50%+ light loss in a new Hi-Lux. I may well have one for you.

Oh Ya, yellow color at no extra charge. Mr Hadden must have sold 100's of these. Louis

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-20-2009 12:56 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, I think Mr. Hadden sold the one I have. It was from Sky-Vue, Winchester.

Frank, my love is purely for sentimental reasons. [Razz]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-20-2009 02:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edmond Scientific optical division used to sell Canadian Balsam cement
I am not sure what the companies name is now

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2009 03:17 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was once told by a man who worked on Submarine periscope optics that (IIRC) perspex dissolved in Acetone was what they used.

I don't know about the US or Canada, but here you'd have the devils own job trying to obtain Acetone these days.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2009 04:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here they sell it for $2 in any hardware store (acetone)

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-20-2009 04:49 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Canada balsam cement: http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/b1077.html

I would look at this more like a science project than as a repair project.

Use it to study how lenses work rather than a way to rejuvenate an old lens. As the others say, you are unlikely to find anybody to repair it unless you want to pay big bucks. The equipment needed for you to do the job would also be prohibitively expensive. Unless you have some kind of attachment to those lenses, it would pay you just to get new ones.

However, if you realize that the lens won't work the way it is you will see that you have almost nothing to lose by trying to repair it yourself. If you break it, you haven't lost anything. If you get it back working, even reasonably well, you are ahead of the game. And, in the process, you will have learned something about lenses and how they work.

Look at it that way and you have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2009 04:54 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not here! You could once upon a time buy it readily but nowadays anything vaguely useful is banned less you drink it and die.

Carbon Tetrachloride, beloved solvent of horologist. Can't get that because it causes cancer if you immerse yourself in it. Easy answer is not to be a dumbass and get it on your skin, but no, the Orwellian government of the UK banned the stuff.

Methylated Spirits, it's flammable and poisonous if consumed. When I was a wee boy we used it for powering model steam engines and camping stoves. Can't buy it in a chemists shop now but go down the road to the local outdoors emporium and you can buy it by the gallon [Roll Eyes]

Acetone is pretty much unobtainable now unless you're a lab. Last gallon I got came from France, where you can buy it in the supermarkets. I'm waiting for the knock at the door after posting that I have Acetone...

Great Britain, where you have to have a licence to get married, own a gun, drive a car, watch TV or carry out electrical work in your own home. Oh and be vetted to drive your relatives/friends/neighbours children to school scouts, football etc. About the only thing uncontrolled here is breeding. You couldn't make it up. Drive 3mph over the limit and you'll be prosecuted. Shoot a burglar in your home and you'll go to jail. Commit rape and you'll probably never be caught.

Will the last man to leave the UK in disgust please remember to turn the lights off? Probably lights will have been banned by then as someone might be offended by their brightness or strain a finger operating the switch.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-20-2009 06:10 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be a stickler but per the rules we might want to keep this out of political areas...

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 11-20-2009 06:37 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too sure that this is particular to the UK.

Very similar things are happening here in Oz, so I guess the only "political" reference would be in the realm of "political correctness" re: mothering of the population and removing their own ability to make common sense decisions.

So, Pete, if it helps- you're not alone.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: