Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "It's Complicated"Sound Level (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "It's Complicated"Sound Level
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2009 10:25 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In with my print of "It's Complicared" is a piece of paper from
the distributer stating that "Nancy Meyers, director of
It's Complicated" has requested that you make sure the sound
system is set at 7.0 decibels to ensure best presentation".

Nancy, dear- - I tell you what- - you don]t tell me how to
project films, and I won't tell you how to direct them, OK?

But if it makes you happy, I'll set my sound system to "7.0
decibles" which is about the same level of sound a running
refigerator makes if you're sittiing on the other side of a
room from one. If anyone has any questions as to why they
can't hear the dialog, I'll direct them to you.

Sincerely,
JimC

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-24-2009 10:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That same letter came from another director just a month or two ago. I emailed a response letting them know 7.0 db would be inaudible in an auditorium and their verbage should have said 7.0 on the fader.

Its not like it matters though. They are just copying and pasting the last letter and claiming a new director wrote it as if that will somehow make the people in the theaters that don't already turn their faders up to 7. It doesn't. For that matter, these directors had nothing to do with these silly letters. Setting the fader to 7.0 is industry standard. If a theater is not already running their movies at this level, they are not going to change their ways because of a form letter.

If they want to solve the problem, record the trailers lower!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-24-2009 11:51 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what you're saying is that a stern warning with nothing to back it up doesn't work? I never would've figured... [Wink]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-24-2009 12:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they are referring to setting SDDS system to +7.0dB? If so...then that would certainly be loud enough!

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-24-2009 02:51 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No go on the fridge, Jim. I think 7 dBC is more like the sound of a normal person breathing across the room. A quiet fridge is more like 30-40...

--jhawk

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2009 03:04 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about those theaters that are engineered such that 7.0 on the CP650 will blow the dentures out of the old folks watching these films?

I think these letters would have a bigger impact if they offered some actual information to go on...
"Did you know..." -- screen channel volume in db, surround volume in db, pink noise test, that kind of stuff.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-24-2009 05:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't matter. A shitty EQ will still sounds loud and harsh to the patrons at 5. The system has to be properly setup in order to be able to run with the fader at 7 and not create customer complaints.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-24-2009 10:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you do know that "7" on the CP650 is indeed louder than "7" on any other processor, including all of the other Dolby processors, don't you? It is something like 2 or 3dB louder.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-24-2009 11:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, that is a fact I did not know. All of mine still run at 7 though for 90% of all features and CP650s make up 80-something percent of the locations I look after on a regular basis. (The Michael Bay shit has to be turned down.)

So what's the technical reason?

Benjamin Putman
Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2009 12:50 AM      Profile for Benjamin Putman   Email Benjamin Putman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
Nancy, dear- - I tell you what- - you don]t tell me how to
project films, and I won't tell you how to direct them, OK?

Maybe someone should tell her how to direct, frame down and you will see more boom mic than I can recall having ever seen in a wide release film.

It's painful.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-25-2009 03:12 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With digital intermediates, why aren't these prints released hard matted to 1.85? or maybe give a little leeway of safety margin for theatres not quite cut exactly to 1.85 -- maybe allow out to 1.77. In the digital world this should be a piece of cake to accomplish with every print.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-25-2009 08:08 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is the presence of out-of-frame boom mics a problem? Maybe Nancy Meyers expects projectionists to do their jobs without being told.

--jhawk

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-25-2009 09:22 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the CP650 fader...

It appears that Dolby got their calculations wrong way back on the Cat 85. The CP500 matched the legacy products but the CP650, rather than agreeing with all others, decided to "correct" a long ago mistake. The net result, the CP650 is louder on all volume setting than all legacy products.

Steve

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-25-2009 06:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
Maybe Nancy Meyers expects projectionists to do their jobs without being told.

Doubtful...she did send the letter that started this thread off after all.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2009 09:22 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
No go on the fridge, Jim. I think 7 dBC is more like the sound of a normal person breathing across the room. A quiet fridge is more like 30-40...

But John, I have the little knob in MY refigerator set to "7" [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: