Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kneisley Lamphouse

Author Topic: Kneisley Lamphouse
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 07:41 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was searching for a post on this, but I can't find it. Someone had upgraded the Xenex lamphouse with outboard blowers. Can someone direct me to that post? Also, other than that picture, what and where would be the best place to do this on that lamphouse? (CFM's and location)

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-27-2009 09:18 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean this one?

Should another blower be added to the side of a Xenex I?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2009 10:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had to add any "extra" blowers to either Kneisley up to 4kw... Just the correct stack blower... I reccomend Fantech because they are easy to install, practically vibrationless and really quiet. A little more expensive than a Dayton blower but there is a labor savings you will experience at installation. Dayton has also gone Chineese and are really crapy now. Also check the loovers in the bottom of the lamphouse to be sure they're not clogged with dust... This is fairly common.

Mark

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2009 07:44 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, it was a different one but thanks anyway.

Thanks Mark.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-28-2009 02:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pup had a blower on the side and 4k xenex1 had one as well

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2010 09:45 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard- I beleive the post you are looking for was
one of mine. I'll see if I can locate it for you and
come up with a link or post info here.
I've sent you a private e-mail with some additional info.
-JimC-

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-01-2010 11:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The pup had a blower on the side and 4k xenex 1 had one as well

There are several 4K Xenex 1's that I service and none of them have it. The Pup had no other place to mount a blower... They all just have the appropriate stack blower...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-01-2010 01:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
just have the appropriate stack blower...

And it has to do some serious draw since the stack isn't over the anode, but over the reflector.

-Monte

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 12:44 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the conversion Richard was asking about.
I responded privately by e-mail but I thought I'd post
the info here for thread continuity-

The "problem" was that in an effort to get maximum light
on the screen, a theater owner was burning a 2K bulb at
2700 watts and couldn't understand why they were burning
out every three months. ( [Roll Eyes] ! )

I convinced them to upsize to a 3k bulb but that required
making some modifications to their Xenex lamphouses.

Here's a "general view" of the set up
The exhaust blower on the back was "orignal equipment"
installed because the theater had no roof exhaust system.
 -

Here are the new blowers added to cool the 3K.
Fortunately I was able to borrow a portable
pnumatic steel punch to make the 2" holes on top.
 -

The blowers are connected to a time-delay relay which
turns them on when the bulb is powered up, & turns them off
about 15min after the bulb powers down at the end of a show.

A pipe elbow & reducer directs air at the (+)end of the bulb.
 -

2 elbows were needed to clear the mirror at the (-) end.
 -

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-05-2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(getting to see that using CHR CXL 30R bulbs is getting to be the common practice in direct connecting up the positive cabling and getting rid of that anode cap)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: