Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Can anyone identify the object between the lamp and projector here? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Can anyone identify the object between the lamp and projector here?
Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 11:30 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw these photos on ebay. I'd like to know what the item between the lamp and projector head is. The seller's description does not reference it specifically. I've never seen this before.

-
 -

The motor on the upper reel arm is interesting as well. Could this machine run in reverse?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 11:36 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure what that item is. As far as running in reverse, could be. It looks like the motor is hooked up to a controller. By the way that is the cleanest wiring job I think i've ever seen [Razz]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2009 11:47 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also curious about the filter and rails infront of the lens. Is it some sort of 3D or special venue 70mm projector?

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-27-2009 11:54 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be either a dichroic heat filter or a lens assembly to change the focal length of the Orcon mirror. This would likely mean that the mirror in the lamphouse isn't of the standard Orcon dimensions. The vent at the top would be just an extraction duct for the waste heat.

Still, its a weird way of doing both of those things and I might be way off the mark.

......UNLESS...... its just a spacer between the lamphouse and mechanism so there is no need to rotate the lamphouse to change xenons. These lamps rotate about a centre pivot and the lamp is changed through the snood with the lamphouse at 90 degrees to the table. Then it would be easy to just lift the "box thing" off and reach in through the snood and hey presto!..lamp changed.

Bartender! A double please. [beer]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-28-2009 09:05 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the cable for going into the back of it? It's near to the top, so it might just be for a fan I suppose. There's another cable near the bottom which looks like it might be going into this box, but it seems to have been unplugged.

I did think of another lamphouse, possibly a halogen one, so that prints could be projected by either light source, but that wouldn't make much sense with 35mm. I could understand it with 16mm where both light sources are widely used, and you might want to do test screenings with both.

Another idea I had was that it might contain dichoric filters and a mixing box, to enable the colour of the light to be changed, like the lamphouse on a colour enlarger, or some types of film printer I believe. Might be useful for grading test prints, or somewhat improving faded material during film restoration, but I can't see any way to operate such filters.

How about some sort of additional heat filtering/extraction to enable the film to be run at very low speeds, or stopped on a still frame. It does look like it might be designed for some sort of rock and roll system, in a dubbing theatre maybe?

It has a strange lower spoolbox; looks like one of those cloverleaf things for running double band on 1000 foot spools, though only one take-up system seems to be installed. Definitely looks like some sort of studio or laboratory machine.

I'm out of ideas at this point.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2009 09:57 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what the 'little box' between the projector
and lamphouse is, but the motor on both the feed and takeup
and the fact that this machine is equipped with a "preview
magazines" would definately indicate that its' configured
to run in forward and reverse. The size of the lamphouse
and whole set-up in general looks like machines I've run
in some screening rooms or editing houses where you
needed both forward/reverse and preview magazines to
run dailies or to check non-composite prints.

UPDATE> A friend who worked in a film lab for many
years says he THINKS (but isn't sure) that this
device might be similar to a device they had in their
screening room which had sort of graduated neutral
density filter wheel inside so that they could
control the intensity of the light when running
untimed or over exposed dailies.
It's just one more possibility.....

I've run many many forward/reverse "preview projectors"
set up with double system sound-heads. Here's one of them.
(In fact, I'm running film at this screening room tomorrow)
 -

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2009 02:07 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, are we sure it couldn't be something as simple as an additional exhaust fan?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-28-2009 02:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My suspicison is that it is a set of controlable colour filters for colour print timing

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-28-2009 03:45 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert E. Allen
Hey guys, are we sure it couldn't be something as simple as an additional exhaust fan?
We're not sure of anything Robert, but why the need to install an extra fan for quite a small lamphouse, when projectors with larger lamps manage without? Also, it puts the lamp a long way back from the film gate, and therefore would probably need to contain a lens to correct this.

quote: Gordon McLeod
My suspicison is that it is a set of controlable colour filters for colour print timing
One of the ideas I came up with Gordon, but I'd expect to see either three knobs for local control, or some sort of electrical interface for control from the auditorium. None of the cables looks like that.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2009 07:19 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking Stephen if it's a reversible projector used in some phase of production perhaps it is stopped on a an illuminated single frame.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-28-2009 07:54 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

It's possible; at the moment we have no firm evidence at to what this is, only speculation. I'm a bit surprised that nobody here has yet been ab;e to positively identify it. Whatever it is, they can't be very common.

I don't think it's my first idea, a second lamphouse, nor the suggestion of it being just a means of gaining access to change the lamp, but I think all the other ideas are still in the running. Or maybe it's something that none of us has thought of yet.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2009 04:37 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my guess.

The top spool box is for reversable projection.

The frame on the front of the projector is an iris for stopping down the lens.

The second lamphouse holds a Philips type 500 watt xenon bulb with built in mirror. The Orcon lamphouse is installed only for it's use as the rectifier.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2009 12:54 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever that gizmo is between the lamphouse and projector, it has an Alan Gordon Enterprises logo on it. They are still in business in LA, I suppose somebody could call or email them to find out what it is.

Alan Gordon Enterprises

My GUESS is that it is some sort of heavy duty heat shield to allow for freeze framing the image.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2009 01:00 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried asking the seller?

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2009 05:51 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
My GUESS is that it is some sort of heavy duty heat shield to allow for freeze framing the image.
Well that makes two us. Wonder if we'll ever really know?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: