Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ultra-Stereo JS 105-195 Sound Processor

Author Topic: Ultra-Stereo JS 105-195 Sound Processor
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2010 01:43 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone happen to have a manual and/or schematic for this unit? I checked the manuals here... no joy.

I'm particularly interested in the automation hookups. At some point before we took possession, someone had disconnected all the automation inputs and cut the wire back to the Maxi 12X.

David

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-01-2010 02:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can call up USLinc and ask for Clint. He prob can help you on this one. Phone: (805) 549-0161

good luck-Monte

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2010 02:45 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-01-2010 04:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're easy to automate. The type of contact closure required depends on which fader module you have in the USL... The one with the rectangular push buttons that stay in when you push them in require a hold type contact at the automation, or in simple terms just ground one of the sutomation terminals to ground and it stays in that mode. The fader module with the small square momentary push buttons requires just a pulse type automation contact closure meaning a momentary contact closure to ground changes the sound format. Any of the Strong automations or the EPRAD Ultimation and several others can provide either of these types of closures. I believe the Maxi 12 can only provide momentary contact closure which leads me to believe you have the later fader module in the USL JS processor. If you can't just strip the insulation jacket back and color splice the wires back together again then it'll need to be rewired. Anyway, the sound connections are listed on page 18 of the Maxi 12 manual here on the F-T manuals page. The automation connections are clearly labeled on the back of the USL backplane as well so interfacing them is usually very easy. Unfortunately the Maxi 12x can be a real pain in the ass especially if you have the Opticlueless cue detector. Then you'll have to figure out how many cues you are set up for and which ones do the sound changes, light dimmer changes and so on. Most of that is in the manual and keep in mind it is a sequential type system... again assumming you have the Opticue working with it.

Hope some this helps...

Mark

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2010 10:08 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, it does help. It is the later model fader with the momentary buttons, and it does have an Opticue attached.

I wish it were as simple as splicing. Whoever disconnected it actually unscrewed the wires from the the back of the USL and then cut it back in the wire chase.

I may wire up some LEDs to the Maxi outputs and run a strip of film with incrementing cues to see what functions are being fired.

-David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: