Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » External 6 channel usage in a cinema

Author Topic: External 6 channel usage in a cinema
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-05-2010 01:52 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey, coming back for another question that was presented to me and need help again with this one:

I did a service call to a local twin cinema. The owner asked if there was a possibity to utilize his six channel system to receive the same amount of channels from DVD playback.

Here is his setup:

Simplex X-90 setup

CP55 - not upgraded for 6 channel. still has the 241 cards..
SONY SDDS - (prob was stuck with this system for 6 channel since he was told by the installer that this was the only ext digital source to work with his CP55, 4 ch setup)

ASHLY 2000 amps.

Powered BGW subwoofer.

He has a receiver that will do 6 channel output, thus wonder on how if he can connect this up directly to the amps so he can have his 6 channel sound playback with his DVD presentations..

..any possibilites on this and what kind of steps would be taked to make this work?

thx-Monte

|  IP: Logged

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 06:30 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess a quick way is to go right into the inputs of the Sony. You would have to adjust the volume with the amps or the reciever's controls. Also, you would have to use the reciever's controls for the sub if the sub has no volume control. I've done it this way before.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-05-2010 07:02 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he is doing this regularly, he could install a patch panel between the CP55 and the SDDS unit, normalled for the CP55 output. That would make it fairly easy to patch in the DVD sound, assuming that there is a gain control somewhere in there.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 07:09 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be a good permanent way to do it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2010 08:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or just get an Oppo Blue Ray player that has the 6 channels as line outs on it!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-05-2010 11:37 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For awhile we were using a simple computer printer switch like this: a manual printer switch for cheap. add breakout cables and insert it AFTER the processor and before the amps -- (A) position would be the output from the processor -- (B) position selects the DVD player. This assumes the DVD player has regular six analog outs AND an internal volume control. BUT this method will play havoc with your gain structure since the DVD player will only be consumer level -10dbv output and the processor will be +4dbv. The only way to avoid this discrepancy will be to either pad down the processor output (doesn't the CP55 have a 2 position gain switch on the backplane that selects output levels -- not sure if this will compensate enough). This is not recommended as it slices your headroom although it will work if your amps have enough gain to still reach Dolby without clipping).

OR, you can put THIS box in between the DVD player and the switch; Level matching line amp this will bring the DVD output up to equal level of the processor at about $50 (each -- you will need three which makes it no longer a dirt cheap way to do it.

This does rely on the internal volume control on the DVD player to set levels -- you can no longer manually use the CP55's fader. So you have to manually set the level by listening in the theatre and when it's right, leave it there. Since I was the only one operating this setup, there was no problem; I am not sure I would want to hand that over to commercial theatre where The Unknowns will be operating the booth. I guess for the occasional DVD video projection, the levels could be set by ear each time and it wouldn't a big deal to do it. Someone would have to do an audio test before the engagement, set the volume and then hide the remote -- our player didn't have the redundant volume controls on the face of the unit. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: