Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Partial Prints Lying Around

Author Topic: Partial Prints Lying Around
Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2010 04:42 PM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my theatre a little over a year ago and found a few reels of a couple of movies stored away in the basement - nothing complete.

I'm remodeling and won't have 35mm projectors soon. I don't really know what to do with these reels. Any ideas?

The prints are:
Reels 1, 2, 4, and 5 of 5 for ALONE IN THE DARK (1982)
Reels 4, 5, and 6 of 6(?) for UNCLE TOM'S CABIN (1965) aka Onkel Toms Hütte

I have another reel I haven't identified yet. It's B&W and has Santa Clause at the beginning of the reel.

I also have a couple of short bits that are marked "Bic 'Raizor' '7'".

I've only watched ALONE IN THE DARK so far. It was not in great shape - jumpy, faded blacks, dirty, and scratched.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2010 05:22 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alex Shultz
I have another reel I haven't identified yet. It's B&W and has Santa Clause at the beginning of the reel.
Miracle on 34th Street (?)

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2010 05:29 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have R5 of Hero (2005?) and R6 of Matrix Reloaded (2003). I've been told they are corrupt, but haven't checked out Hero yet. Matrix 2 has a bad SR track, but sounds great in Dolby.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-17-2010 07:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Althaus
Matrix 2 has a bad SR track, but sounds great in Dolby.
My brain just broke. I think you mean it has a bad analog track, but sounds great in digital... right?

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2010 07:32 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but yes that's what I meant. Only one of our houses has the capability to play back any kind of Dolby sound, and it played great in Dolby Digital.

Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2010 01:04 AM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I moved the Santa Clause film to another reel tonight. It turns out is it a reel full of trailers and announcements. I patched all the broken sprocket holes and will play the reel on Thursday.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2010 07:58 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alex Shultz
I moved the Santa Clause film to another reel tonight. It turns out is it a reel full of trailers and announcements. I patched all the broken sprocket holes and will play the reel on Thursday.
On behalf of the management and staff.

Merry Christmas

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-18-2010 10:45 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alex Shultz was the last to post
Santa Clause
Memo from the North Pole:

Dear Film-Techers: Please note that Mr. Claus DOES NOT have an "e" at the end of his name. This confusion apparently stems from that dopey Tim Allen movie of a few years ago. He respectfully requests that all use of the term "Santa Clause" be stopped and the correct term "Santa Claus" be used instead, or else you will receive coal in your stockings next year. Thank you and Merry Christmas! -- The Elves

Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2010 10:37 PM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It turns out the Santa Claus reel is a reel of trailers and announcements. This one is definitely Claus with no "e" - way before Tim Allen's time on film.

Here's what is on that reel:
  • Santa wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
  • Announcement about the Spirit of Christmas - just some cards, no motion.
  • Trailer for Disney's THE THREE LIVES OF THOMASINA.
  • "Hollywood Premiere" trailer for THE INTERNS.
  • Trailer for HEY THERE, IT'S YOGI BEAR.
  • Announcement for Christmas Seals introduced as "A Christmas message from Natalie Wood and Robert Wagner."
  • Trailer for THE NOTORIOUS LANDLADY.
  • Trailer for THE NEW INTERNS.
  • Announcement about "Books of Happiness" - coupon books for Christmas shopping - available in the lobby in $1, $1.50, and $2.50 denominations.
  • Announcement for the Leap Year Valentine Show where the girls are encouraged to bring the guys.
  • Announcement in which "Management wishes you a Happy New Year."
  • Trailer for THE CHALK GARDEN.
Is there any place that takes film like this and puts it to good use or something? I don't believe I can store it properly and I would rather someone get good use out of it that have it go brittle and flake away in a can in the back of a closet. While it's fun to watch once, the novelty is quickly gone and I don't really have any use for it.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2010 03:56 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could use some of this at our repertory shows... I can't access your email, but mine's  - .

Click Mike's profile to view email address.

[ 02-22-2010, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2010 05:34 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey whattya know, I was right.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: