Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 17-track optical test film? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 17-track optical test film?
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 01:14 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SH-1000 manual mentions a 17-track optical calibration film. Does this still exist, and would it have any value?

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 04:48 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may have one of these.
I seem to recall that somewhere in my ersatz archives,
I have an optical test alignment reel from 1947
issued by the SMPE. (There was no "T" back then!)

I can't recall how many tracks are on it, but it's
several hundered feet long.

- and it's on nitrate stock.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-14-2010 06:03 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll bite -- what does that mean, exactly....17 tracks?

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 06:14 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears to be a test film used to align the sound pickup. From the manual, "when tracks 3-15 are aligned" you're as good as it gets.

I'm guessing it was for lateral alignment, though it does also note that filament sags are indicated when the middle tracks are underperforming.

I wondered if it was seventeen tracks all together, or alternating tracks simply numbered 1-17.

-David

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-14-2010 07:17 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were able to fit 17...even just 15 tracks into the soundtrack area of a 16mm print? These are modulated tracks? And how was one supposed to isolate each track to determine the performance?

I would love to see a picture of this thing.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-14-2010 07:56 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps there were 17 frequencies on a multi-frequency test reel? I cut mine done years ago before pink noise. (Only short bursts of tone.) Louis

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 07:56 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank-
We might all be talking "apples & oranges" here.

If I recall, the reel I have is 35mm and contains multiple consecutive "sections" which in the paperwork were referred to as "tracks".

It was like having SMPTE buzz track, 1k Tone, Frequency Sweep, etc test films all spliced consecutively onto one reel.

Those were followed by several short scenes from different films which were meant to judge sound system and room acoustics.

There was one scene of dialoge, another which contained an orchestra playing, another of a piano solo, etc.

An accompanying piece of paper told you what to listen for as you listened to each cut, such as "wow" or flutter in the piano and violin solos which would indicate speed problems.

It's similar to the 16mm SMPTE "Jiffy" test film, but longer and in 35mm. ("Almost Jiffy"? [Big Grin] )

I don't know if this is the same film David said is referred to in the SH-1000 manual. But it has multiple "tracks" and is the right vintage.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 10:11 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Jim. That must be what they were referring to.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-15-2010 06:14 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 35mm test film you describe was issued by SMPTE and was called "The Manager's Test Reel."

btw: Dolby once had 6 channels of stereo inside the existing track area of optical sound. (Not matrix.) You can see what it looks like with the Dolby 566 test film. No one wanted "double system" so it was doomed. (about 1980.) Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-15-2010 09:00 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it was 4-track only, to the best of my knowledge. It was also known as Parasound because Paramount used it for Popeye

Steve

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-15-2010 09:06 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Popeye's sound track was Vistasonic.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2010 12:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me his used to exist. Also that SMPTE also made a similar thing when they actually used to be into making useful test films. It was Optical and had different cuts of different frequencies as well as some music and piano. Not unike Dolby's Jiffy Test Film but with more things on it and there was no image. The one for Popeye Steve is thinking of is an entirely different film and was used to test/adjust the color decoding on that system (can't remember it's name though).

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-15-2010 12:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also there was colortek discrete analogue system and kintek had one too

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2010 12:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, thats the one Gord, Colortek. The problem with Kintek is thay didn't have anything that actually worked... for the long haul!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-16-2010 10:07 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't John Mosely use his system on some prints of TOMMY? Quintaphonic Sound or something?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: