Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Qst: Dolby Cp 500 Vs Cp 650 Or Cp 65. A/D Converters- What is best Sound Combination? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Qst: Dolby Cp 500 Vs Cp 650 Or Cp 65. A/D Converters- What is best Sound Combination?
Martin Daian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2010 02:58 PM      Profile for Martin Daian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, i need to evacuate some dudes:

I am working to define what is the best quality processor for Analog and Digital:

I have this processors availables:

CP 500 Digital

CP 65 w/ two Cat 350 SR cards & Dolby DA 20 Decoder and SA10 EX Surround Adapter

CP 650 Digital

I receive some information about the CP 500 that in the Analog to Digital conversion the bit rate is not too good like the A/D converters on the CP 650 - Is True ?

If is true the analog sound quality on the CP 500 will be little less in quality thant the CP 650 ?

I love too much the CP 500, is a nice cosmetic processor and robust, i prefer to use CP 500 allways if the Analog and Digital sound quality are the best, if the CP 650 have better sound quality in Analog or Digital i will need to use the CP 650 instead the CP 500,

Some people say that the CP 65 with 2 Cat 350 SR cards and a Dolby DA 20 decoder with an SA EX 10 unit to decode EX Surrounds will be the best combination for Analog and Digital sound, is this true?

The Dolby DA 20 have the same Digital Sample bit rate quality that on the CP 650 and CP 500 ?

Also i am adding a bi-amplified croossover, i have an Ultra Stereo CM-680 Both Monitor and Crossover, is this good or exist a better crossover?, the Dolby crossover cards that uses built in the processors (Cp 500 & CP 650 Crossover Cards) are the best sound quality option ?

Appreciatte your experiences about to help me to define what is the best processors combination to finalize the best sound rack.

Thanks,
Martin

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 12:45 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To my ear the 500 was a step back from the 65/20.

Best of all is the 650 which is still fully supported by Dolby. Louis

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2010 01:17 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still think that one of the best sounding Dolby processors is the CP65 in both analogue and digital domain. The only drawback is the lack of full equalisation on the surround channels but that can easily be done if you use the EX decoder! CP65 with Cat 350 in my opinion. I never liked the analogue sound of the CP500. The CP650 is mainly a Digital addressed processor.
Demetris

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2010 03:12 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always prefered the SR from the 65 over the 500. I may be wrong here but I think the 500 uses an emulated SR? I don't think there is a difference in the digital domain between the da20 and the 500 (except the lack of full EQ on the surround channels)

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2010 07:06 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote goes to CP65 with SR cards together with DA20.
Didn't hear any other system that beats the sound of these two together.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-20-2010 07:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go for the CP650.

The CP500 can take Cat 300/350s (with the right daughter board. I'm not a huge fan of its overall sound quality though...a bit harsh.

The CP650 sounds pretty good and its SR emulation is pretty good too.

Steve

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 05:18 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

To clarify... "sounds pretty good", or "sounds the best"?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-20-2010 05:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd pass on both of those and get yourself a used Panastereo CSP-1200. Nothing else out there even comes close to it's performance... even it's SR is better then Dolby's own.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-20-2010 07:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of the group listed, sounds best...except possibly for SR analog.

Steve

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-20-2010 10:38 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I take it you mean when the CP-65 is equipped with the CAT 222 SR/A card?

I think the CP-65 sounds best in SR when CAT 300/350 cards are used.

I do agree the CP-650 has excellent analog sound, better than the CP-500 (or the hideous CP-45) and better than the CP-200.

Mark, The Panastereo may have better sound, but is it really wise to get involved with equipment that is no longer made?

I donated a CP-650 to my screening room at UC Irvine to replace the CP-65 since Dolby no longer supports it. (That and it makes the room set-up identical to the new screening room I just installed there.)

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-20-2010 11:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I truly dislike the Cat 222SR/A...it isn't good SR emulation.

The CP200 is the best Dolby analog processor, period. When the 517/560 came out, it got the best analog output stage too.

The CP650 is better than the CP65 in most every respect, except SR noise reduction. But of the SR emulators, it is the best I've heard.

Steve

Martin Daian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2010 01:59 AM      Profile for Martin Daian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you to Everybody that help to form my sound rack.

Now i will see that the best SR analog processor is the CP 65 with Cat 350 SR cards used in combination with a DA 20 and an SA10 EX unit, with the SA 10 EX Surround Adapter will have the fully equalized surround channels, now the only diference between this big size system (CP 65 + DA 20 + SA 10) combination and the CP 650 unit is that CP 650 will be more practice on the adjustments also i have the dudes if the adjustments in the CP 65 Processor will be stable compared to the CP 650 adjustments, the CP 65 have analog equalization and output levels with manual pots, the CP 650 have all digitalized and maybe the adjustments will be perfectly stable, of corse less the Optical Preamplifiers Levels that varies when the Red led on the soundhead readers are little disgasted and need to readjust the Optical Preamplifiers Levels or the power voltage on the PS of the reverse scan system.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2010 11:36 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, What are the differences in the digital portion of the cp650 compared to the DA-20/SA-10? Does the 650 have better D to A conversion?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 03-21-2010 02:34 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, shooting from the hip I would say yes as D-A technology has gotten better and less expensive in the decade or so since the DA-20 was born...

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-21-2010 03:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the CP650, everything remains in the digital domain. The CP650 has superior output devices too. I suspect that the digital portion of Dolby AC3 is restricted by the era in which it was born and the CP650 can't improve upon that. As for bit rate...I believe the CP650 is a 24 bit processor, the CP500/DA20 are 18-bit, IRC.

Overall, I just prefer the CP650 audio quality for the digital stuff. The CP65 suffers from relatively noisy VCAs on the L,C, R and S channels due to the Cat 242 (1985 technology). The EQ on the surrounds of the CP65 is pretty pathetic. I don't like the "snaps" when the CP65 changes format and with the DA20/CP65 system, the transition between digital and analog is always audible (plus the surround level jumps by 3dB in analog).

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: