Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35mm Digital Sound Playback Preference? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: 35mm Digital Sound Playback Preference?
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-24-2010 09:26 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have the required hardware and the print has the ability to playback Dolby Digital, DTS, and SDDS, which one would you choose as your 1st choice and why?

|  IP: Logged

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2010 09:37 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS! Always liked the dynamics and the mix in DTS. Still remember the first time I've heard DTS in a packed theatre for opening night of Jurassic Park. When they played the flying dts disc logo before the film, the crowd went wild. Then SDDS and then DD.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2010 09:37 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS due to better stereo effect in the surrounds than the same Dolby Digital track.
Please note Phil that I do not have much experience with SDDS

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-24-2010 09:50 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy...

SDDS. By far, the best sounding of the three. Every time I've done an A/B/C comparison of the three, having tuned them using the same analyzer, SDDS has always won.

Furthermore, SDDS, when available, has 5-screen channels (my preferred sound arrangement) and some talented recording engineers use it.

#2 for me is Dolby Digital, unless the print is beat. It has a pretty natural sound to it.

#3, DTS...it has always been too strident for me. DTS with EV speakers, in particular can be quite painful (if they are using the DH1 driver, like on the TS9040 or TS940). I don't understand the comment about DTS' surrounds...they are compromised since part of their frequency range goes to the subwoofer. Dolby and SDDS, on the other hand, have full range surrounds. DTS no longer needs to perform this economy to get the 6-channels to fit...however, for legacy processors, they still have to encode the subwoofers on the surround channels. DTS can also carry the torch on 5-screen channels, which they do for some 70mm reissues.

At the Uptown, years ago, when folks would ask what digital I was running, and I told them it was Dolby...they would bring up "compression" and such...so I told them I would randomly switch between Dolby and DTS during the show...then they would have to tell me which reels sounded best (I would switch sound on a changeover). Those that could tell (and many couldn't) would always pick Dolby over DTS without knowing it until I told them. They just had preconceived notions about Dolby having this horrible compression as compared to DTS.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-24-2010 10:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
My findings have been the same as Steve's (provided the SDDS was done fairly...I never use the SDDS internal EQ as the pink noise is HF deficient which results in a shrill-sounding end product).

I do find SRD and SDDS to be very close, but SDDS does have an ever so slight edge. That being said I hardly ever run SDDS because at least I can get the Dolby processor repaired if it breaks. Not quite so easy with the SDDS.

DTS is a fine format, but it is the last on my list. The sound is sterile to my ears. As with Steve, blind listening ABC tests in my own screening room consistently produce the same results with other people. SDDS first, SRD second (some people can't tell the difference), but DTS always comes in as their last choice.

Phil, if you will get off of your ass and come visit me, I'll let you do the listening test for yourself. We still owe you a trip to Chuck-E-Cheese anyway. [Razz]

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2010 10:19 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely SDDS. Having had that choice for 15 years, I've found that SDDS gave the best sound and was the most likely to be still working on older prints. Maybe the EQ was doen better the first time for SDDS. DTS is just too much trouble, even if discs were never a problem for us - lip synch was always a worry, especially with two projectors. And Dolby was more than likely to drop out on prints we got - and more recently Dolby is poor, even on prints of good quality.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-24-2010 10:42 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Grand-Poopie-BAH
Phil, if you will get off of your ass and come visit me...
I'm riding my ass "Francis the Talking Mule" to your abode and should arrive sometime in late summer. [thumbsup]

Save a pizza and a pizza boy for me. [Wink] [Razz] [beer] [thumbsup]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-24-2010 10:53 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion doesn't count for s**t here since I'm a non-professional, but SDDS always sounded the best to me at the local Regal Cinema World 8 which had all 3 sound formats. That theater is gone now. Can't tell you why SDDS was better but it was.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-24-2010 11:23 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those who know me well enough here will be shocked by my answer:

SDDS has the best sound to my ears.

DTS has always sounded good to me and I prefer it slightly over Dolby Digital which sounds a bit harsh to me (opposite of Steve's experience.)

Hey Phil, detour to UC Irvine and take a listen to my new screening room there, and I can introduce you to some hot college studs. [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-24-2010 11:34 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
...I can introduce you to some hot college studs.
Hubba Hubba! [beer] [thumbsup]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-24-2010 11:37 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought that would get a rise out of you. [Big Grin]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-25-2010 01:36 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, what I've heard that SDDS really can knock the socks off the other formats. Yet, DTS has the lowest compression rate at 4x, whereas SRD is 12x and SDDS at 8x compression..

Sony really did have something there, but where the track is at on the film itself and how the processor processes the optical track into mono since it has to bypass the other default processor in the rack is what really make it a sore subject to some.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 04-25-2010 01:56 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SR.D

For practical reasons as opposed to quality.

The vast majority of prints released have, in addition to the SR analogue track, a Dolby Digital track effectively making it a defacto standard.

Here in Australia, it's almost guaranteed that there will be a DD track, whereas SDDS tracks are getting rarer and to find (playable) DTS discs with a print is a lottery at the best of times.

As for audio quality, I agree with the others here in that SDDS- to me- sounded better and more detailed than the others.

Trouble is, just because it sounds better doesn't make it my automatic choice. The support for SDDS is almost gone, and if the DTS discs are damaged or non existant, then no matter how good it sounds, you aint getting no digital audio.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2010 03:06 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the way SDDS sounds, but I've seen too many prints where the SDDS track is either non-existant or damaged and drops out.

So i'd probably say:
#1. DTS
#2. SR.D
#3. SDDS

But if every print had SDDS from now on, and every theater did "film done right" it would be
#1. SDDS
#2. DTS
#3. SR.D

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2010 03:45 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Sony really did have something there, but where the track is at on the film itself and how the processor processes the optical track into mono since it has to bypass the other default processor in the rack is what really make it a sore subject to some.
In our SDDS setup, we had Dolby Digital and DTS backup so that, automatically, an SDDS failure reverted to another digital - the times that happened can be counted on the fingers of one foot.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: